Students camp out for tickets to SPB’s trip to New York

Oakland University’s Student Program Board trips are famous for being sold out on the first day, and this year’s New York trip was no exception.

Tickets went on sale at 9 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 7, and students were already camped out the evening before making sure they received a ticket. The trip is from Nov. 12 to 16th.

“I would guarantee coming early and not taking a chance,” said Tim Brown, a junior at Oakland. “Make sure you get a spot.”

There are two buses traveling to New York, resulting in only 100 spots available.

“People started lining up as early as 5:00 p.m. Monday,” said Kerry Zhu, Student Program Board travel director at Oakland University. “We had enough people lined up to buy tickets at 10:30 p.m. to consider the trip sold out.”

In the past, SPB trips included destinations such as Montreal, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Disney World and others. The trips are offered to any OU students and are meant for them to explore and experience different cities at a low cost.

“Not only is the trip a steal of a price, but it’s in Time Square, and that’s super exciting,” said Allie Nixon, a junior at Oakland University. “I don’t really travel so I’m excited.”

For this particular trip, students will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Time Square, and it is only $200 a ticket. Students may also purchase an additional $20 unlimited subway and bus pass to get around. Those attending are able to explore the city as much as they want, as there is no itinerary they must follow.

“I’m a voice major so going to Metropolitan Opera House and Broadway shows will be really cool,” Brown said. 

Groups of students brought tents, blankets, lights and music, creating a fun experience as they waited through the night.

“We’ve been waiting for ten hours, but there are people who have been out here longer,” junior Kat Cotton said. “Last time we went to New York with SPB we were really ill-prepared, so this year we brought a tent.”

“I was number one, and I got in line at 4 a.m.,” Nixon said. “I had eight blankets, two pillows and two sleeping bags, and I was fine, but it was still cold. For a while everyone was playing music really loud and dancing, so it was really fun.”