New art exhibit on display in Wilson Hall

Susan Kae Grant, artist, professor and Head of Photography and Book of Arts at Texas Women’s University, has a piece titled “Night Journey” on display in OU’s art exhibit in Wilson Hall.

Students and staff can now experience dreamlike artwork through the new art exhibit, “Shadows of the Invisible”, located on the main floor in room 208 of Wilson Hall. The art gallery is free for the public and will feature this exhibit through Nov. 23.

One artist in particular made a significant presence at the showcase.

Artist, professor and Head of Photography and Book of Arts at Texas Women’s University, Susan Kae Grant, spoke during the Artist’s Talk lecture event and expressed how happy she was to be back in the Midwest. Grant is also a former professor at Wayne State University.

Grant obtained her Master of Fine Arts in photography and book arts in 1979 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Associate professor of Art and Art History, Claude Baillargeon, curated the exhibit.

“I had seen an exhibit of her work and thought, wow this is extraordinary,” Baillargeon said.

According to Baillargeon, Grant’s work was well in line with creating images of the invisible.

Grant’s piece, “Night Journey,” is a part of the new exhibit.

“I wanted to create a space about dreaming,” Grant said. “As a child, I’d wake up in the morning and always tell my mother I went somewhere. I would recite my dreams.”

Grant began photographing props and models in her Dallas, Texas studio for the project in 1999.

“The goal was to take 100 images,” Grant said.

“Night Journey” was inspired by research conducted at Southwestern Medical Center Sleep Laboratory.

“I searched for scientists,” Grant said. “I’ve always had a real strong connection and curiosity to science.”

Grant collaborated on the project with sleep scientist, Dr. John Herman.

“I was tape recorded in the laboratory and awaken from REM (rapid eye movement) sleep,” Grant said.

When awakened, she was asked to describe the images of her dreams.

According to Grant, the notion of an artist creating work is to find people who could support projects, by providing information rather than money.

Dick Goody, painting professor and director of Oakland University’s art gallery, attended the event.

“It’s not just about capturing images through a lens,” Goody said. “Capturing the effects of light is not just about taking selfies. It’s very layered.”

According to Goody, Oakland’s art gallery is equivalent to a museum.

“We have a mission statement emphasizing excellence and the enrichment of education and enjoyment of the arts,” Goody added.

For more information go to www.ouartgallery.org.