Gender and Sexuality Center hosts 3rd annual Bra Show

These decorated bras were on display in the Oakland Center on Oct. 15.

October is nearing its end. Students, friends and family are preparing for Halloween and enjoying the crisp autumn air and the picturesque trees.

But October is special for another reason. Sporting events from high school to professional levels host games dedicated to it. People even walk great distances for it. It is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

The Gender and Sexuality Center (GSC) hosted their 3rd annual Bra Show on Wednesday, Oct. 15, where alumni, sororities and professors decorated bras to promote breast cancer awareness. Some bras were made in honor of those on campus who are or were previously affected by breast cancer.

A documentary titled “Pink Ribbon, Inc. was shown during the event as well. The documentary states that breast cancer has become a clever marketing ploy and that the millions of dollars raised to find a cure may not necessarily be going to research for the disease.

Grace Wojcik, Coordinator of the GSC, said that when it comes to breast cancer, “we all get drawn in wanting to help with it.”

Wojcik also discussed how important it is to bring breast cancer awareness to campus.

“It’s really hard for the traditional student to think they’d get breast cancer,” she said.

Zeta Sigma Chi Multicultural Society, Inc. created a Halloween-themed bra for the show. Members Danielle Bates, Ashley Taylor, Samantha Sokoll and Raquel Wills were in attendance. Each of them have breast cancer survivors in their lives.

“It’s something that is near and dear to me,” Bates said.

“This year (my aunt,) she was four years in remission,” Wills said.

“Which is beautiful,” Bates added.

Wills said her cousins were four and six-years-old when her aunt was diagnosed.

“They weren’t old enough to understand,” Bates said. “Which is something people don’t think about.”

The women of the sorority were happy to get involved in this type of event in order to spread awareness.

“You can get involved with it. You’ll pay more attention to something like this,” Bates said.

“It’s not just giving money. You get to actively participate,” Sokoll said.

Wills and Bates specifically were aware of the concerns with the Pink Ribbon campaign and the use of its funds.

“Hence why I don’t do Race for the Cure anymore,” Wills said.

Students in attendance were also able to relate to the cause.

Junior Human Resources major Jarhea Bowels attended the show and has attended previous ones as well. Bowles said she had family members that have passed away from breast cancer.

“I know how it affects the families,” she said.

Bowles said that when it comes to those who donate to the Pink Ribbon cause, “they really don’t know where that dollar is going to.”

She suggested that people do their research before they donate to breast cancer awareness.