Where are they now: Joshua Miller

‘‘Deep down, I am motivated to help bring fairness, or at least try to balance out some of the terrible things that can happen,’’ Josh Miller said.

Specializing in appellate work, Joshua Miller, an Oakland University graduate, is now working in the Office of the Prosecuting Attorney for Oakland County in Pontiac.

Miller writes legal briefs and attends oral meetings where the appellate court explores appeals in further detail.

Miller graduated from Oakland in May of 2008 with a bachelor’s degree in history and a minor in political science. During his college career he was also part of the Oakland University Student Congress and the Gay-Straight Alliance.

“Oakland pushed me to become less introverted,” Miller said. “I really had a chance to step outside of my comfort zone. I had the chance to make new friends and take part in a variety of programs. I felt like I was making a difference for the OU community.”

Aside from the extracurricular activities, Miller indulged himself in books and his schoolwork. He used to sit in the class of David Dulio, a professor and chairperson of Oakland’s political science department.

“I have great memories of Josh as a student,” Dulio said. “In classes, he was one of the best prepared students I’ve had and he always contributed greatly to class discussion.”

After graduating, Miller continued his education and went to law school. After he passed the bar exam, he became a full-time employee for the Office of the Prosecuting Attorney for Oakland County. He is driven to bring a degree of fairness and justice to the world as a career.

“I realized early on that life is rarely fair,” Miller said. “Deep down, I am motivated to help bring fairness or at least try to balance out some of the terrible things that can happen.

“It’s difficult in my career. You have to balance so many factors, such as ensuring both parties have the fair trial they deserve and that the crime victim gets justice. This desire of mine carries into my everyday life as well.”

Miller still has a passion and ties to Oakland. He connects with professors and visits campus when he can. He also reaches out to students to remind them about the possibilities of a brighter future and to make the most of their time in college.

“My time at OU was some of the best in my life,” he said. “I encourage students to get involved. Run for office at OUSC or get involved in a student org, or two or three.

“In the end, you’ll have a much better experience. Enjoy your time, you won’t regret it.”