Where are they now: Charlie Lapastora

Pursuing his dreams, Charlie Lapastora is now a news reporter for NBC 7&4 in Traverse City.

A recent Oakland University graduate can now be found up north in the city of cherries.

Lapastora graduated with his bachelor’s degree in communications with a minor in international relations in April. After graduation, he found work in Bloomfield Heights as a farmer and applied at numerous places around the state for some sort of news reporter position.

“I noticed that there was a position open at NBC 7&4 in Traverse, and I was hired for the job,” Lapastora said. “Even though I was born and raised in Metro Detroit, it’s someplace different and I love that. I have family in Interlochen, so I was somewhat familiar with Traverse before I made the move.”

Lapastora was an involved student during his time at Oakland. Throughout his college years he was part of the OU News Bureau, hosted a radio show, played intramural sports and was a member of both Pi Sigma Alpha and Lambda Pi Eta. He was also awarded the Meritorious Achievement Award, which is given to the most outstanding senior in the College of Arts and Sciences.

“Charlie took my Intro to Journalism course last fall and quickly displayed the instincts of a reporter,” said Garry Gilbert, director of the journalism department at Oakland. “He’s smart and has a nose for news. He’s curious about everything, and he connects well with sources.”

Aside from his work on campus, Lapastora also had a lot of unique experiences during his internships and time overseas. He has interned for the Detroit Pistons, WJBK-FOX and spent time in Europe working for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, a non-profit organization.

“In the summer of 2011 I interned for the Detroit Pistons and loved that experience,” Lapastora said. “My internship with Fox Detroit is what led me to journalism and communications. I was able to see what the news industry was like, which led me to where I am now.”

At his current job, Lapastora covers Mid-and-Northern Michigan, as well as high school sports in the Traverse City area. He has been on the air, shot video for various news segments and written articles that have been published online.

Lapastora is proud to be a Golden Grizzly and an Oakland alumnus. He encourages all students to get involved and make the most of their time in college.

“Anything is what you make of it,” he said. “There is a lot to do and experience at Oakland, it’s a hidden gem in your own backyard. Even after college, pursue your dreams. You never know what will happen.”