A tribute for Wayne Blizman

Blizman poses with one of his Students in Free Enterprise teams. Alex Cherup is the second to the right in the back row, and Brennon Edwards is the farthest on the right.

I met Wayne Blizman when he was the faculty advisor for Oakland’s chapter of Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE). I was the SIFE Director of Communications for over two years, less because of my excitement of free market theory, but because of Wayne. As a wannabe philosopher with relatively leftist views, I was the last person you would expect to find enthusiastically following our SIFE chapter around the country talking about the power of entrepreneurship.

But, when you add Wayne into the equation, it makes sense. Those who knew Wayne will never forget his rare gift of far-from-predictable dry wit coupled with a down-to-earth steadiness. No matter what happened, you knew after a few minutes with Wayne everything would be okay. I remained friends with Wayne after my graduation and my departure from Michigan, always learning from his wisdom and laughter.

Wayne was a diamond of humor and common sense in a vast field of often-predictable academic theory. After spending time with him in the classroom or affiliated with a student organization, his experience and perspective would rub off on you. He was a master at relating to others. When my sister asked me for advice after transferring to Oakland, my first recommendation was: “Take a class from Blizman.”

In his decade at Oakland University, Wayne led programs (like the OU Incubator and the Entrepreneurship Institute) to empower students with the tools necessary to become successful in their professional life.

Wayne was real, he was sly, and he kept you on the edge of your seat. He cared about peace and justice, and his love for his family was paramount. From his wispy hair to his dress shoes, he was an inspiration to all. The school lost a true visionary. It is hard to imagine Oakland without him.