OU Homecoming and Reunion Week Coming to Campus Oct. 19-24

Oakland University’s annual Homecoming and Reunion Week will be in full force from Monday, Oct. 19 to Friday, Oct. 24, kicking off with Matilda Dodge Wilson’s 137th birthday bash and wrapping up with a drive-in movie, featuring Halloween classic, “Hocus Pocus.”

“We wanted to provide an opportunity for students and alumni to engage with OU, despite the many challenges we have in getting everyone together,” said Director of Alumni Engagement Erin Sudrovech. “We’ve come up with a pretty comprehensive slate of activities that are mostly virtual, [with] a few in-person opportunities.” 

To begin Homecoming Week, the birthday bash will take place on campus (socially distant) at noon on Oct. 19 at the Elliott Tower.

The Faculty after Five Series is another aspect of Homecoming Week, with sessions from Oct. 19-23. Sessions include “Totally Awesome ’80s Media” and “Mindful Well-Being During a Pandemic,” among others, all led by OU faculty. 

Other Homecoming Week events include Adventures with Grizz on Tuesday, Oct. 20, where participants can learn about OU history, buildings and Grizz’s favorite campus locations, a Greg Kampe radio show on Wednesday, Oct. 21 and a virtual Thursday night mainstage, featuring Emmy-nominated comedian, Nicole Byer

“I want to emphasize, even though it’s (the Nicole Byer comedy show) virtual, it’s live,” Jean Ann Miller, senior director of the Office for Student Involvement (OSI). “[It’s] really awesome because [we’ve] had live events in the past, and we’re still keeping the tradition going — being innovative, being creative by bringing in a very well-known comedian.” 

A sidewalk chalk contest and sheet banner contest are scheduled to take place for student organizations throughout the week, a grand prize on the line for both. Additionally, OU offices and departments are encouraged to take part in window decorating to show school spirit campus. 

The “Hocus Pocus” drive-in movie will conclude Homecoming Week on Friday, Oct. 23  — registration is required. Movie-goers will receive a goody bag with snacks and water. They also must stay in their cars through the duration of the event to comply with COVID-19 protocol. 

“The most exciting [about the drive-in] is that it’s in person,” Miller said. “Even though we are in [unprecedented] circumstances, even for Homecoming, we are trying to [bring in] some normalcy to make sure student and alumni programming is still happening. Hopefully, people will take advantage of everything that will be taking place that week.” 

Sudrovech had similar thoughts, mentioning she hopes Homecoming week will allow for engagement throughout the OU community.

“We want to make sure people have a way to stay involved with OU,” Sudrovech said. “For students, it will give them a change to engage with the larger OU community [and] for alumni, it gives them the chance to come back and even do some engagement with students, which they love.”

For more information on Homecoming and Reunion Week, or for registration links, visit oakland.edu/homecoming