Students dedicate their time to aiding Iraqi families in workshop for peace

ISIS has affected many Iraqi families and left them with nothing but the shirts on their back. Devastated, freezing and starving these people have been torn from their homes in hopes of survival and they need our help.

“These people have nothing, either they left their houses and belongings or they were killed,” said Brittany Savaya, head of public relations for the Chaldean American Student Organization. “We need so many donations and it’s very important because these people were unable to take anything they needed to survive.”

Students came together and took part in workshop for peace Nov. 5 to learn and help out Iraqi people in need. The event was created to raise awareness and money for people who are suffering and affected by ISIS.

“ISIS has no regard for life,” said junior Branden Jarbo. “When my family in Iraq fled from their homes for safety they were not able to take much with them.”

Different stations were laid out for students to personally take part in aiding the Iraqi people.

Each station served its own purpose, including one with information on Iraq and ISIS, a station where students could make quilts to give to those who are freezing and a donation station where students could help sort all of the generous donations.

“Our goal is to give these people in Iraq any essentials that are needed,” said Anthony Shalla, co-secretary of the Chaldean American Student Organization. “Anything that is needed we will provide.”

Hygiene products, blankets, food, as well as any other necessities are encouraged.

The turn out was great as students were eager to help. The donation box located in the Oakland Center has already successfully been filled three times in less than a week.

The Chaldean American Student Organization has partnered with Chaldean American Ladies of Charity (CALC) and they will be giving all of the donated items to them. They will then ship the items to Iraq and have them distributed.

Every item counts and all help is appreciated in this time of need. Although the event is over, donations are still appreciated and being accepted in the OC.

Helpful ideas for donations include:

1. Diapers

2. Tampons/pads

3. Gloves, hats and scarves

4. Socks

5. Food

6. Blankets

7. Clothes

8. Baby wipes

9. Deodorant

10. Money