Oakland partners with the Violence and Abuse Resource Consortium

The Violence and Abuse Resource Consortium (VARC) is an organization on Oakland’s campus that serves as a centralized location for information about not only what is happening related to violence and abuse on campus, but also the research and the action Oakland University is taking against these issues. 

VARC was founded by three professors on campus: Scott Pickett and Michele Parkhill Purdie, both psychology professors, and Amanda Burgess-Proctor, a professor of criminal justice. All three work in, research, or teach classes related to violence and abuse. 

“Oftentimes we would say how much there needed to be a place for information on things happening on campus related to violence and abuse,” Burgess-Proctor said. They eventually decided to take it upon themselves to create such a place. 

VARC has been in the works for about a year, however it has only been active for about a month.  When the organization was first created, they looked to the community for partners.  At a meeting where Burgess-Proctor was talking about VARC she met the newly appointed Oakland Athletic Director, Jeff Konya. When they started discussing partners, Konya suggested they reach out to campus organizations as well.

Since that conversation, VARC has gained five campus partners. The organizations they reached out to on campus are not specifically related to violence or abuse prevention, but they represent student leadership. The most recent campus partner is the Oakland Athletic Department.

The athletic department is excited to be taking part in such a cause. They recently invited former Syracuse quarterback Don McPherson to speak to the student athletes about violence and abuse prevention using the platform of sports in order to relate to them. 

The VARC founders feel this partnership will be very effective in helping them reach their goals of informing and researching violence and abuse.

“Student athletes are leaders,” said Burgess-Proctor. “In their role, they have an important opportunity to be a part of the solution.”