Grizzly Health Squad fights against COVID-19

To provide its students a safer learning environment during COVID-19 pandemic, Oakland University has launched the Grizzly Health Squad (GHS).

The GHS is a student-driven engagement initiative, promoting the use of masks, social distancing and maintaining personal hygiene habits. Consisting of ten members, the initiative walks around heavily populated areas of the campus such as the Oakland Center and the library as a group, and reminds students to wear their masks and to social distance.

In addition to the encouragement, GHS also provides masks, tissues and reusable thermometers to students who may need them. When the individuals follow the guidelines for COVID-19 properly, they are also provided incentives such as OU merchandise.

The GHS has been supported by its ten active members, and one of them is Allyssa Farley. Farley is a sophomore at OU. She joined the initiative because of its vision. She knew GHS was something she wanted to be a part of. Working in Disability Support Services, she has always confronted a variety of difficulties. This experience convinced her to join the GHS so she could spread awareness about COVID-19.

“I know that the people I work with are really scared of everything that is going on, and they tend to be the ones who are most at risk,” Farley said. “I wanted to promote these health decisions, so that the people I work with and see on a daily basis won’t be as anxious about the world around them.”

Another member of the GHS is Lydia Danks, a freshman at OU. She was also motivated to join because of safety reasons.

“Staying safe on campus is very important to me,” Danks said. “I want to be able to be here as long as I can be, and we have to take extra precautions during the pandemic. [So], it was an easy decision to take this job because I care about keeping our community safe.”

As members of one of the most crucial initiatives at OU during this pandemic, they hope to get all OU community members to be actively involved in stopping the spread of COVID-19 by practicing the safety guidelines at all times.

Though each member of the GHS comes from different backgrounds, they are all gathered as a team to raise the awareness for COVID-19, promote the well-being of OU students by complimenting the OU health pledge’s focus, and devote themselves to keeping the campus a safe and healthy place for the OU community.

“This program is new to everyone, and we don’t exactly know what is to come ahead, but I plan to continue to devote myself to this team,” Farley said.

As always people are encouraged to wash hands frequently, use antiseptics to clean household items, wear masks in public places, avoid meeting people with colds and coughs in crowded places, maintain physical distance and to stay home as much as possible.

For more information about the GHS, visit its page or email [email protected].For questions and concerns regarding the COVID-19, email [email protected].