Undergraduate Admissions to host “Go for the Gold” virtual series

Undergraduate admissions will host the “Go for the Gold” online series, where interested incoming or current students have the opportunity to learn about Oakland University’s undergraduate programs, beginning Sept. 29. 

“For our virtual “Go for the Gold” series, prospective students will receive an overview of OU’s 140 undergraduate programs [and have the] opportunity to talk with faculty, staff and current students,” said Shane Lewis, director of undergraduate admissions, via email. “We’ll also discuss information about scholarships and financial aid, the admission process and how to make a successful transition to college.” 

Lewis recommends the sessions to high school juniors and seniors, transfer students and “really anyone interested in earning a bachelor’s degree.” 

The upcoming sessions cover programs in the following academic disciplines: humanities, social sciences, nursing, health sciences, engineering and computer science, business, math, physics, biology, chemistry and creative arts, with dates spanning from Sept. 29 to Oct. 8. 

“Students can sign up for each session that interests them,” Lewis said via email. “All sessions will feature scholarships and financial aid information, followed by faculty presentations from the featured academic area. After learning about the featured academic major programs, students are invited to interact with the faculty, staff and student presenters in a Q&A panel.”

Visit Coordinator Mae Dennis mentioned that she is excited for students to see the level of care OU faculty and staff have for the various academic programs. 

“We have world-class professors ready to share their knowledge and dedicated students ready to learn,” Dennis said via email. “We hope that students interested in pursuing their higher education with OU [will get] all their questions answered in regard to their chosen major program of interest.” 

As far as fall plans, Lewis mentioned undergraduate admissions will continue to expand on virtual opportunities. Daily campus tours are continuing with limited group sizes, mandatory face coverings and social distancing. 

“What we have learned from the pandemic is there will always be students who are interested in virtual opportunities, so we don’t see these offerings going away once we are able to return to larger, in-person events,” Lewis said via email. 

When it comes to overall advice for OU students as the fall semester begins, Lewis encourages students to take advantage of opportunities offered, even in virtual formats. All campus services remain available for the benefit of students, as mentioned by Lewis. 

“For prospective students, those newly considering OU for 2021 and beyond, we would definitely recommend attending the Go for the Gold virtual series, or another one of our virtual recruitment programs in order to learn more about life as an OU student,” Lewis said via email. “We want students to know we are here for them as they embark on the college search journey and are excited to help them through the application and admission process.”

To register for a session, visit “Go for the Gold” and to learn more about undergraduate admissions in general, visit their homepage.