Reviewing the president’s report to the university

President George Hynd, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Kevin Corcoran gave students and faculty a glimpse at what he and the leaders of the university have been up to these past few months, during a lunchtime session.

It concluded with a question and answer portion with the Strategic Planning Committee. Here is a list of the top 10 things you, our reader, can take away from the Nov. 11 presentation.

1. “It all starts with the faculty. That’s what universities are built on, our high quality faculty who care about their work and care about their students,” said Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Kevin Corcoran.

Corcoran highlighted the many achievements of the faculty and how they will guide discussion and higher learning at the university.

2. The College of Arts and Sciences courses expand to those who are in the other professional schools, Corcoran said. He stressed that courses in the arts and sciences affect every student in the university, regardless of major.

3. “We are growing in a variety of areas within the college,” Corcoran said.

Corcoran cited growth statistics such as the chemistry major showing 25 percent growth and the psychology major showing 18 percent growth.

4. “We at the College of Arts and Sciences have a space problem,” Corcoran said.

With the expansion of buildings for several of the other professional schools, the largest and only college on the university is in desperate need for adequate space for students and faculty.

5. We need engagement in the community. Both Dean Corcoran and President Hynd stressed that as a metropolitan university, we have an obligation to use our skills and resources to better the surrounding community. This type of involvement in the community is beneficial for both community member and students looking to gain valuable experience outside of the classroom.

6. We need to become a “doctoral research institution with a global perspective.”

This was stated in Hynd’s presentation of the Strategic Planning Update. The president and the commission want the university to compete on an international level and be a leader in groundbreaking research.

7. We need to continue to re-brand. Hynd said the commission discusses the branding and “what is it exactly people think about when they hear the words ‘Oakland University.'”

8. “Our students feel we are more student-centered than other institutions across the state,” Hynd said, citing the branding survey that was done earlier this year.

Hynd wants to continue this focus on the students and providing them with a “robust teaching and learning environment.”

9. We need diversity. Hynd and the planning commission welcomed comments from the audience members, which included faculty administration. Many of them expressed the need for diversity on campus in order to provide a better learning environment.

10. “We need your help,” said Associate Professor of English and President of the American Association of University Professors, Kevin Grimm.

Hynd and Betty Youngblood, former Interim President and current Vice President for organizational development and strategic planning echoed his thoughts. If you have any suggestions for the planning committee, they can be sent directly to Youngblood at [email protected].