UNICEF at OU helps underprivileged children around the world

UNICEF at OU was formed by best friends and students Jessica Kaljaj and Flora Ivezaj, who lead as president and vice president, respectively. They said that the idea came to them over coffee at the Dessert Oasis café in Rochester, one of their favorite places.

Some student organizations aim to make life on campus more pleasant, while others aim to prepare students for careers. A few aim to reach out even further.

UNICEF at Oakland University is intent on helping underprivileged children throughout the world by collecting donations and spreading the organization’s name. It has been working to raise its own presence on campus since it was formed this past winter semester.

UNICEF is an international non-profit organization that aims to improve the lives of children living in poverty around the world. Overseen by the United Nations, it raises money and awareness concerning global issues while providing health, educational and safety measures to those at risk. Currently, it is monitoring the effects of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.

The group was formed by best friends and students Jessica Kaljaj and Flora Ivezaj, who lead as president and vice president, respectively. They said that the idea came to them over coffee at the Dessert Oasis café in Rochester, one of their favorite places.

“We wanted to start an organization at OU that we could definitely leave a lasting impression on the campus as well as outside of it, and we wanted to pursue something personal to our majors,” Kaljaj said.

Kaljaj is a senior majoring in history and going into secondary education. Ivezaj, who is also a senior, is studying international relations. Both have an interest in worldly affairs.

Kaljaj said that she wants to bring this experience to her future classroom.

“As a social studies teacher, I would like to expand my students’ frame of mind to have an international scope,” she said.

Kaljaj said she wanted to “enrich them in world issues that exist today” to expand their knowledge of global affairs.

“We work through the UNICEF United States Fund, so we have contact with their engagement fellows and their campus initiative leaders,” Ivezaj said.

“I’m also doing a symposium where we do live web group chats with other UNICEF chapters in the nation through Campus Initiative and UNICEF United States Fund,” Ivezaj said, saying that the chats focused on how to spread their message through different approaches on campus.

In August, the organization got a chance to promote its name and cause to the public when it was allowed to set up at the Arts and Apples Festival in Rochester. Kaljaj said that it was a successful gig.

Kaljaj and Ivezaj are also executive board members of She’s the First at Oakland University, which is a chapter of a non-profit organization that sponsors the education of girls in developing countries. They participate in Amnesty International at OU as well.

“The ultimate goal of our organization on campus is to not only have a stable organization, but a long-lasting and effective organization that goes well beyond our degree here at Oakland,” Kaljaj said. “Outside of Oakland, we hope to see our help expand to these countries for these children that desperately need our help.”

UNICEF at OU is holding its next meeting Friday, Nov. 7 at 12 p.m. in Gold Room C. Anyone interested can attend.

The organization has Twitter, Facebook and Instagram pages, as well as its own page on unicefusa.org. It can also be found on Grizzorgs.