Annual Benefits and Wellness Fair provides valuable healthy living info

The annual Benefits and Wellness Fair kicks off the period of benefits choice for qualified OU staff and aids in providing information on healthy living.

The Recreation Center was buzzing with a palpable energy as students and community members are also welcomed, in addition to staff. 

Starting at 9 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 5, the Recreation Center opened its doors bright and early, welcoming everyone in the OU community and surrounding area to sample some of the incredible local health and wellness resources.

Over 60 vendors from gyms, insurance agencies, restaurants and more set up booths on the Rec Center’s basketball courts to provide information on the benefits of their services.

“[The Benefits and Wellness Fair] kicks off the benefits choice period for OU staff,” said Becky Lewis, assistant director of programs with the Rec Center.

Lewis estimated that over 500 people attended the fair and will be able to make informed decisions about what kinds of employee health benefits are right for them.

“We want [students and employees] to learn about their health,” Lewis said, gesturing to the bustling crowd of people moving between the different vendor displays.

“Students and employees are our target,” Lewis said, “and we want them to see what’s local and available to them.” 

After being checked in on the first floor of the Rec Center, students and staff made their way downstairs to the courts where they were given a goodie bag, filled with information and a snack-sized bag of Skinny Pop popcorn, to inspire healthier choices.

A sandwich board stood by the information table displaying the event’s schedule with time allotments for exercise demos, free massages and much more.

Kristy Garrett with Yoga Shelter of Rochester Hills was one of the many local faces in attendance that wanted to provide the OU community with information on the benefits of getting healthy.

“Yoga Shelter is offering OU affiliates 10 days of unlimited yoga for $10,” she said. “We take a welcoming and approachable environment, and we’re not competitive.”

Garrett explained the benefits of taking one hour of yoga as part of a healthy lifestyle, citing that yoga can help with sleeping patterns and a general feeling of mental well-being.

“If you’re willing to take the time to make the change,” Garrett said. “Then you’ll see the benefits.”

Yoga Shelter of Rochester Hills was just one of the local area businesses offering special deals and incentives to members of the OU community in order to foster a healthy and active community environment.

“We want our OU community to get healthy and stay healthy,” Lewis said. “And if they’re already healthy, we want to enhance what they already do. Our goal is to foster a healthy campus culture for faculty and students.”