What I’ve been doing to pass the time in quarantine

During this quarantine, I have had more time than I’m personally comfortable with to self-reflect, and because I feel super unproductive if I let myself sit for more than five minutes, I had to find some hobbies to pass this time. 

Learn how to longboard

I’ve had this longboard since I was probably a freshman in high school, and I never mastered the skill that is riding it. Why? Because I’m lazy. So, I thought to myself, “This would be the perfect time, Autumn! You’re never going to get this opportunity again!” I can proudly say that I can somewhat ride my longboard, not as good as everyone else on campus can apparently, but we’ll get there.

Learn how to paint

OK, listen, in high school I was a ceramics type of girl. My hands shake worse than the speakers do at a concert, and I have as much patience as a toddler. So the idea of painting with a steady hand and hours of painting makes me wanna rip my hair out. Then, an idea struck that required me to learn how to paint. One of my friends from high school is a goddess at painting, so I tried to channel her as I endured the moST PAINFULLY SLOW EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE.

Paint my longboard

Obviously, this is where learning how to paint comes in. The brilliant idea of painting my longboard had taken root in my mind, and there was no changing it (thanks TikTok). I ordered paint, brushes and sealant off of Amazon and got to work. In the end, it didn’t turn out that bad, if I say so myself. 

Read

Reading has been one of my favorite hobbies since I was in the sixth grade. It has helped me in so many ways, and it has helped me make friends. This quarantine, my big To-Be-Read (TBR) pile has stared at me harder than ever before. We’d have epic staredowns until I finally gave in. An update: I have finished about one-third to maybe one-half. 

Learn how to sew

Sewing seems pretty cool right? Not in the “hOuSe WifE” type of way (kudos to my editor, Lauren) but in the “I have the ability to make whatever I want” way. One day, I decided I’d take up sewing and got to work. I don’t have a sewing machine or anything, so I’m learning by hand and it takes FOREVER. It’s not like I got anything else better to do. 

Buy a chinchilla

Before I continue, no I didn’t buy one just because we’re in quarantine. This has been in the works for several months. Originally, I was going to pick up my chinchilla, her name is Tulip, on the weekend after finals. Tulip will now come home on May 2, and if you don’t tell her she’s a good girl, we’re gonna fight. 

Spend tens of hours devoted to Animal Crossing New Horizons

I bought the nintendo switch just for Animal Crossing New Horizons (ACNH). Turns out buying a switch was the best decision I made recently. Because ACNH? Amazing. I already have played over 55-60 hours in the game, and it makes walking on the treadmill, since I can’t leave the house, go faster. No spoilers, but Nooks Cranny looks amazing. #iykyk

Unpack my entire dorm and try to fit it into my room (spoiler alert — it didn’t happen)

I don’t know why I even bothered with this one.

Forget classes were a still in session

I know you’re probably thinking, “Autumn, how could you forget when Moodle spams your email all the time?” I know, I know. It just slipped my mind until I got the rude awakening that finals are upon us. 

Get addicted to TikTok

I put up a good fight, but I have fallen to this Vine wannabe. Please don’t try to find my TikTok.

One last thing, if you haven’t done anything new during this quarantine that’s okay! You don’t have to take up new hobbies. It’s your time, relax, make bad financial decisions and do whatever you want.