Oakland School of Nursing’s Anesthesia program is ranked 17th in the nation

Oakland University’s School of Nursing’s Anesthesia Program is currently ranked 17th in the nation by U.S. News and World Report.

“We are extremely proud of this program, which has become one of the premier programs in the U.S.,” said Maureen Bowman, vice president and Chief Nursing Officer at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak.

The program is ranked every three to four years and in 2013 it took the 17th spot. With a highly established staff, hands-on experience opportunities and ambitious students, the program is known for its success.

“We have a very successful program with outstanding graduates that are able to give anesthesia to anyone who may need it,” said Anne Hranchook, Program Director of the Nurse Anesthesia Program.

This 28-month program has been educating registered nurse anesthesia students since 1991 and students come from all over the world to be a part of it.

From the beginning, the program’s initial mission was to address the shortage of CRNA’s nationwide and to provide an exceptional educational experience for RN Anesthesia students.  

It requires a total of 58 credits over 28 months. Students spend three to four days a week in the clinical area and an average of 64 hours per week between clinical and classroom instruction.

Beaumont serves as the primary site for education and training. However, students also rotate to clinical experiences all over the state. These include practicing anywhere from big medical centers to small access hospitals, which allows them to be prepared to help anyone who is in need.

“Graduates are highly sought out from employers,” Hranchook said.

On average, the program enrolls, educates and trains 20 RN Anesthesia students each year. It exceeds minimum accreditation standards set by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia programs in both clinical and classroom instruction.

The program has a first time certification exam pass rate of 96 percent, beating the national pass rate by around 10 percent. It was also awarded the 10-year reaccreditation status, the highest level extended to a nurse anesthesia program. 

“Our students exceeded all the numbers needed to graduate by double, sometimes triple,” Hranchook said.

Although these students are on the fast track to success, it takes a lot of time and commitment to reach their goals.

“They spend so much time studying, learning in the classroom and in the clinical area that they typically cannot work,” Bowman said. “The most challenging parts include the rigor of the program, the time commitment and being able to live for 28 months without an income.”

Those involved with the program such as Bowman and Hranchook believe it’s important for these students to have a strong support system in order to achieve their dreams.

“We believe that our Nurse Anesthesia graduates are extremely well prepared to provide outstanding clinical care wherever they choose to practice upon graduation and for years to come,” Bowman said.