Students walk in support of Ferguson protests and Michael Brown’s family

The Oakland University Association of Black Students organized a movement in memory of Michael Brown. Students came together to pay respect in a march on campus Nov. 25 at 12:30 p.m. The day before, the grand jury in Missouri decided not to indict the officer in the shooting and killing of the 18-year-old Brown.

“The motive behind the entire thing is unity and the time where we stand together and fall together,” said Damien Moore, a member of Association of Black Students. “At times when we’re not together, you really get panic, you get chaos, because everybody has a voice and opinion, but they don’t know how to express it.”

Asia Anderson, president of Association of Black Students, is a junior studying psychology and sociology at Oakland. The organization helps to increase the graduation rate among black students, while providing the resources to help them do so.

“Above ABS, we’re here to promote unity across the black community,” Anderson said. “We just want students to become more aware of what’s going on in the media, because I know when you’re on campus it’s kind of like being in a fish bowl.”

Moore talked about the importance of easy access to information regarding controversial issues such as this.

“Ignorance is not bliss — we have to live in a society every day and it impacts us in ways that we don’t even know or understand,” Moore said. “The information is out there and social media is out there, so we can get everything, be a part of it and make a difference.”

Vice President of Association of Black Students Al Pollard explained that this event affects everyone.

“I think we should look at it in a different way and actually start with ourselves and want to change ourselves.”

Biology student Michael Scarborough participated in the walk and expressed how he was affected.

“It shows me how corrupt our justice system is,” Scarborough said.

He was at home when the verdict was announced and wasn’t surprised by the outcome of the trial.

“I was disappointed, but to be honest I kind of expected it to go this way,” Scarborough said.

The students marched in silence.

“Forget all the opinions and what everybody have to say. No one speaks,” Anderson said. “Everybody is in arm and arm promoting unity.”  

“That’s what Mike Brown’s family wants. I assume that’s also what Trayvon Martin’s family wants, so that’s what we’re doing, in memory of them and in respect to their families,” Anderson added.