Commencement ceremonies postponed until August

Commencement for students graduating at the end of the winter 2020 semester has been rescheduled to the last weekend of August, per a video announcement from Oakland University President Dr. Ora Hirsch Pescovitz on Friday, March 20.

The rescheduled commencement ceremonies will take place August 27-29 at the O’rena, with further details coming by June 1. Pescovitz said she wants graduates to bring their loved ones to a ceremony that will run as normal.

“I want to applaud you for what you have done so far,” Pescovitz said. “You’ve worked so hard to get to the point that you are today, and your education is one which is extraordinary, and we will never be able to take that from you. But, because of the times that we’re living in, we have decided that we will have to postpone your commencement ceremonies, but we want to celebrate your exceptional achievements.”

Graduates will be contacted by June 1 with detailed information about the ceremonies, Commencement Fairs, tickets and regalia, according to a Friday, March 20 email announcement from the Commencement Office. If you have already purchased regalia, you are only able to return if it has not been opened.

The graduation ceremonies for Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine (OUWB) students are still scheduled for June 11-13, but Michelle Piskulich, senior associate provost, said the date could change depending on further developments.

Campus events have now been called off through Tuesday, May 26, according to Piskulich, although online procedures like registration will still continue as planned. More details on that will appear in a forthcoming story from The Oakland Post.

Pescovitz expressed her condolences in the video and wanted to assure students that the university is listening to their concerns about graduation.

“I know that this is a very disappointing thing for many of you, and yet we want you to know how very proud we are of your achievements and your accomplishments,” Pescovitz said.

Although the commencement ceremonies have been rescheduled, students still will earn their degrees at the end of the winter semester. Graduates should continue to check their OU email addresses for further commencement ceremony updates.