Keeping the dream alive

The iconic words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. rang clear through the Banquet Rooms of the Oakland Center on Monday, Jan. 19 as OU students and community members filed in.

A video of King giving his “I Have a Dream” speech played on each side of the stage and lectern for all in attendance of OU’s 23rd annual Keeper of the Dream Scholarship Awards Celebration.

As Omar Brown-El, director of the Center for Multicultural Initiatives (CMI), hushed the crowd, junior vocalist Timothy Brown took the stage. Singing a rendition of “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” he was accompanied by many in the audience.

Shortly following, the Keeper of the Dream scholarships were awarded. Facilitated by the CMI, the Keeper of the Dream scholarships are earned by OU students who “have contributed to interracial understanding and good will” (Oakland.edu).

This year, five students were recognized for their efforts in promoting diversity at OU and in the community. The recognition was given by Brown-El and the scholarship sponsors, including Beaumont Health System, the OU Credit Union and Alumni Association, L&L McIntosh and Autoliv Americas.

Joseph Kirma, recipient of the Beaumont Health System KOD scholarship, is a biomedical science major who shows particular interest in the health disparities that effect different ethnic groups and minorities.

Kirma is founder of the Medical Association of Chaldean Students OU Chapter and the Organization of Diversity and Health, president of Students Against Destructive Decisions, and vice president of Alpha Lambda Delta.

In his acceptance speech which, like all other award recipients, was pre-recorded, Kirma said that his father’s ability to make friends anywhere served as an inspiration to him, repeating his father’s advice of “it only takes a few kind words.”

Zienab Fahs, a social work major, received the OU Credit Union KOD scholarship, and was recognized for her ability to make “diversity an open and comfortable topic of discussion,” as described by Brown-El. Fahs is a member of OU’s Muslim Student Association, Lebanese Student Association and African Student Association. She also mentors within the Department of Pre-College Programs.

In her acceptance speech, she stated one of her most rewarding experiences on campus was “working with students that the Pre-College Program introduced [her] to.”

Chanel Daniels received the OU Alumni Association KOD scholarship for her work with the OU Veteran Society, for serving as a CMI peer mentor and for her service with the International Guard in the US Air Force.

“She can and will make a difference in the lives of others,” Jean Ann Miller, director of Center for Student Activities, said.

Aukury Cowart, an electrical engineering major, received the L&L McIntosh KOD scholarship in recognition for his work in promoting diversity on campus through his involvement with Greek Life.

Coawart is president of OU’s chapter of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and president of the Psi Phi Fraternity. He also works as an Apartment Resident Assistant for University Housing and mentors in the Department of Pre-College Programs.

Taylor Moore received the final KOD scholarship, presented by Autoliv Americas, and Brown-El said that Moore “aggressively seeks opportunity to create an environment of inclusion.”

Moore works in the community teaching middle school students about careers in the nursing field. She stated in her acceptance speech that she draws great inspiration from her great grandmother, who encouraged her to embrace the heritage she was used to hiding.

After the five students were presented with their awards, Brown-El introduced keynote speaker and actress Jurnee Smollett-Bell, who described to the crowd her journey to overcoming adversity using her position as an artist, actress and community leader.

“You bring me so much joy, my heart is smiling,” Smollett-Bell said as she looked to the scholarship recipients, seated in the front row. “It’s so rare that we as a society celebrate young people such as yourselves.”

“I so believe in you,” she added, “because I see that you believe in the fierce urgency of now.”

Smollett-Bell left the stage after her address, posing a lasting challenge to OU’s students.

“Continue to be a vessel in which you broaden society’s definition of who we are as young people,” she said.