Rivalry week preview

As part of the Winter Semester Welcome Week, the Center for Student Activities (CSA) is giving Oakland students the opportunity to see the men’s basketball team play at the University of Detroit for free.           

The Oakland and Detroit Mercy men’s basketball teams square off for the first time this season in Detroit as part of the Metro Series Saturday at Calihan Hall. The CSA is providing 160 students with tickets as well as transportation to and from the game. There are plenty of tickets still available and if students also attend the women’s basketball game against Milwaukee Saturday at 11:30 a.m. in the O’rena, they will receive a free T-shirt and lunch.

“There is a lot of energy at these games and they are a lot of fun. There’s a whole day of activities planned,” CSA director Jean Ann Miller said. 

The Metro Series is a competition between Oakland and Detroit Mercy that involves 14 sports. When the schools compete in head-to-head competitions, two points will be awarded to the winner while one point will be awarded to each school in the event of the tie. Currently, the two schools are tied with four points each.

The upcoming schedule for the Metro Series includes a women’s basketball game Jan. 22 at UDM and another men’s basketball game at the O’rena Feb. 15. A lot of points are up in the air as the two schools still have to compete in track and field, softball, women’s tennis and both men and women’s golf in the spring.

Before their road game against Horizon League foe Cleveland State Thursday, Oakland has a record of 5-10 and is 1-0 in Horizon League play. Detroit Mercy has an overall record of 7-9 with a 1-1 record in the league.

More information about the Metro Series and the Oakland men’s basketball team can be found at goldengrizzlies.com.