Letter to the editor: Chik-fil-A is a disgrace

Letter to the Editor

After reading the January 7, 2015 edition of The Oakland Post, I am disgusted by this publication.

As a university publication, I would expect The Oakland Post to make all students feel supported on campus. You have the resources and the ability to speak up for equality and justice for all.

This is why I am extremely disappointed with the article written about Chick-fil-A. I am not sure if your writers are ignorant or just do not care about the discrimination that Chick-fil-A has thrown upon the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender (LGBT) community, but highlighting this company as an asset to Oakland University is a huge slap in the face to LGBT students on campus.

Chick-fil-A has donated millions of dollars to anti-gay groups in recent years. Instead of promoting how Oakland University should be replacing Chick-fli-A with another food option, your article promoted the hours of operation of this discriminatory establishment.     

To make matters even worst, you made the story the highlight of your printed newspaper, and put the death of Cody Petzold, an openly gay student, on the back of the Chick-fil-A article.

I am not sure if this placement was done intentionally, but either way, as future journalists, I would hope you would research and review your facts.