Athletes constantly work hard to play well

The Golden Grizzlies dedicated almost all of December to playing hoops.

The Christmas break is a usually a “most wonderful time of the year” for college students.

It offers a chance to take a respite from research papers and exams and relax in the comfort of your own home.  It’s a time to be surrounded by close friends and family … exchange gifts, see some movies and eat fancy holiday meals.

For most of us, that’s the case.

However, both of the Oakland University basketball teams spent their break with a different kind of family — their teammates. 

While most students were shopping, relaxing or eating, the men’s basketball team spent hours practicing in the O’rena and played a six-game road trip while traveling to five different states — Kentucky, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Maryland and South Carolina.

While many of us sat watching Christmas movies from our living room couch, the Golden Grizzlies dedicated almost all of December to playing hoops — starting Dec. 6 at Moreheard State and ending Dec. 27 at Clemson. As the break ended, Oakland hosted Horizon League foe Valparaiso and beat the Crusaders in overtime, 89-75, last Friday.

“It doesn’t feel much like the holiday season when you’re traveling so much right before Christmas,” said freshman forward Femi Olujobi. “You almost forget about the holidays and the time just flies by.” 

The Grizzlies didn’t have much time to spend at home — and at least two stayed on campus on Christmas Day.

Olujobi and sophomore guard Collin Weaver are two of the four members of the men’s basketball team who are from out of state. Weaver’s family resides in Glendale, Arizona, while Olujobi is from Long Island, New York. 

Since the team had games all the way up to Dec. 22 and resumed play again on Dec. 27, it was too difficult for them to go home to celebrate.

“Femi and I spent Christmas Eve at a close family friend’s of a teammates,” said Weaver.

“We spent most of Christmas day on campus,” he said.  “The only time we left was to go to the only place that was open, CVS, to buy Coco Puffs and milk.”

This was the first Christmas spent away from home for the two and they struggled with their feelings.  They both agreed not being with their family was the hardest part.  

“Not being able to see my family and spending Christmas on an almost empty campus was the hardest part,” said Olujobi. 

“But at least we had each other,” added Weaver.

To be successful in any sport requires many sacrifices.  Having basketball be such a big part of their lives for so long, both men have had to give up many things to be successful. 

“This was, without a doubt, one of the hardest sacrifices I’ve ever had to make for basketball,” Weaver said.