Dressing to impress

Life is full of unpleasantries: the dentist, filing taxes, and the greatest of them all: job interviews.

College students currently face a disadvantage, often applying for important positions that will evolve into careers shortly after graduation.

Fortunately for students, the American Marketing Association(AMA)’s OU chapter put on their fifth annual Business Fashion Show on Friday, Jan. 30.

The AMA brings professionals from all areas of marketing to OU in order to educate students about what job opportunities there are after graduation.

“Through these professional development events, we hope that students find their passion and connect with professionals that can help them build their networking and interview skills,” said AMA OU vice president Oana Fenesanu.

The show was an open forum event that invited audience members to participate by identifying the “do’s and don’ts” in the interview outfits worn by each group of models.

“We feel like the demonstration of the ‘do’s and don’ts’ has been much more successful at helping students retain the information than just another Powerpoint presentation,” Fenesanu said.

Before the main event, keynote speaker Elizabeth Flemming, an OU alumna and Country Talent Acquisition Manager at Faurecia,, gave interview tips as well as some information on how she landed her job at the world’s sixth largest auto parts supplier.

Flemming said that Faurecia currently has 58 OU interns with 98 OU alumni working amongst the company’s 20,000 employees, showing there are opportunities for current students and fresh graduates.

Following Flemming’s tips, DJs TommyWin and Kacper Kawala spun tracks as the lights dimmed, and the hosts greeted the audience.

MCs Garrett Kolodzig, an OU communication major and Harmon Harris, an MSU alum, took to the stage.

Six groups of models walked the stage, along with a performance by the Hoa Sen Dance Team, from Windsor, Ontario.

Throughout the evening, Harris and Kolodzig pointed out interview outfit faux pas’ like wearing distractingly bright lipstick for ladies and a baggy, dated suit for guys.

Allison Rechtzigel, a human resources management major at OU, walked the stage wearing a sleek, high ponytail — an interview “yes”, according to Harris.

When William Truong, an OU marketing major, came on stage wearing a grey sport coat, V-neck tee and dark jeans, Kolozdig reminded the audience that there’s a difference between looking stylish and looking professional.

Kolozdig said that Truong would have been interview-ready if he kept the jacket, added pants of the same color, and put on a collared shirt. Kolozdig also said that wearing a navy suit, or mixing brown with navy, are both excellent choices for guys.

Prizes from Faurecia and OU Career Services were given out to audience members who could correctly identify the flaws in each outfit, providing students with a way to learn about the importance of dressing for success.

“The Business Fashion Show is meant to prepare students to feel confident and ready for their next interviews in order to land their dream jobs,” Fenesanu said.