News Briefs: September 18, 2019

Campus

The Fall 2019 Study Abroad Fair will take place at the Oakland Center on Wednesday, Sept. 18 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Students, program directors and representatives will be on-hand to answer your study abroad questions for any one of 300 programs in 45 countries. Freebies and refreshments will be provided.

The Fall Writing Marathon will take place from 5-8 p.m. and will begin in the Oakland Center on Thursday, Sept. 19. Pizza and pop will be provided as you explore campus, sharing things you find as inspiration for writing. For more information, visit the Writing Marathon webpage.

The Brooksie Way will take place on Sunday, Sept. 22 and start at 8 a.m. Oakland University students, staff and alumni can register for the 12th annual race at a $15 discount by going to the Brooksie Way website and finding the relevant code. Proceeds go toward health-related programs, activities and mini-grants.

National

Astronomers may have spotted an interstellar object entering our solar system on Sept. 10. If it is confirmed, it would be only the second interstellar object to be recorded entering our solar system. As of right now, scientists believe it is a comet. The European Space Agency is continuing to monitor the object to study its properties.

Atlanta Braves outfielder Charlie Culberson was taken to a hospital after being hit with a 90 mph fastball the night of Sept. 14. He exited the game fully conscious, with blood coming out of his cheek. He gave the crowd a thumbs-up as he was carried off of the field. The next day, Culberson was reported to be awake and alert, with some damage to the bones around his eye. He is still safely recovering from the injury.