RecWell offers free summer memberships for continuing students

Ryan Pini

For the first summer in recent memory, Oakland University is offering free summer Rec memberships to returning students.

Looking to join a gym this summer? The on-campus option might be worth your time.

From May 4–Sept. 2, Oakland University Recreation and Well-Being (RecWell) will be offering free summer memberships to continuing OU students. The discount, done in partnership with the Oakland University Student Congress (OUSC), is the first time in 20 years RecWell has offered free summer access to students.

The program is directed at continuing students, who are students “enrolled in Winter 2019 and already enrolled for classes for Fall 2019,” according to Mackenzie Hill, OUSC student services director under former Student Body President Ryan Fox. A determined Fall 2019 schedule is required for a free membership, though RecWell will provide free memberships to recent graduates. Incoming and non-OU students can apply for a four-month $80 membership.

The free memberships have all the benefits of a normal RecWell membership, meaning students who apply have access to the pools, fitness classes and other programs and services offered. Some intramural sports will still require a $25 sign-up fee. Students can bring guests with them at the cost of a $10 guest pass.

If students take a liking to the services of the RecWell while using the free membership, their wallets need not cry. Once the Sept. 2 deadline reaches, all of the student memberships will become the standard free in-session membership.

Fox credits the idea to former Campus Health Director Alex Bertges for the free membership idea. One of the people he says helped the most in negotiating the deal was RecWell director Greg Jordan.

“I cannot downplay how helpful Jordan was in this whole project,” Fox said. “Jordan was supportive and stood up for the idea in every administrative meeting he went into. He truly felt that this was the next step for the rec and that the service was vital to OU students and RecWell’s mission to make people happier and healthier.”

Current OUSC Vice President Julia Alexander believes the relationship that made the free summer memberships possible will continue into the foreseeable future. Along with the free memberships, OUSC and RecWell have been working together to create several unannounced projects on campus.

“We do have a couple of initiatives that we are doing,” Alexander said. “Hopefully, we can continue the memberships for continuing students for next summer, as well as more initiatives. We have had a really great partnership with OU RecWell this year, and we hope to continue it with [my] and [current OUSC President] Destinee [Rule]’s administration.”

A frequent user of the RecWell, Alexander had only positives to say regarding the facility.

“I think [RecWell] provides a lot of great services that you cannot find at other universities,” she said. “[At] most universities, you are going to have to pay to get into the rec center, so having it be free is really great for students.”

To apply for a summer membership, visit the center’s website for more information. Students will need proof of Fall 2019 enrollment to get the free or discounted membership.