Letter from the editor: And with that…it’s a wrap!

Dear readers,

We’re finally coming to the end of the year! It’s crazy to think this year is almost over.

As I’m sure most of you already know, The Oakland Post went under some major changes this year to appeal to our student readers more.

The staff of The Oakland Post, aka Posties, have worked hard to bring quality content to the Oakland University community. From covering the Michigan governor election to OU’s hockey puck fundraiser to the candlelight vigil for the Christchurch victims, we have strived for nothing but the best for our readers.

What most people don’t know is how much work it takes to run a newspaper because at the end of the day, you’re running a business.

With that being said, I want to express how proud I am of my staff for all the work they have done this year. I couldn’t have asked for a better group of people to lead.

As I look back on this year, I think about how I’ve accomplished all of the goals I set for myself as editor-in-chief.

1. Bringing diversity to the newsroom

The majority of newsrooms in America are run by white men. There are very few women in top positions, and even fewer people of color in newsrooms at all.

I didn’t want The Post to be like this, so I changed the status quo.

I hired people from all different backgrounds, ethnicities, sexual orientations,  religious beliefs, etc. in order to create as unbiased a newsroom as I could get.

I’m happy to say, I think it worked out for the best.

2. Being more involved on campus

In the three years I’ve worked for The Oakland Post, I’d never seen us host any events or get involved in the community.

I didn’t like it, so I changed it.

We put on our first open mic night in the Habitat, and it was a huge success.

Students were engaged and involved, and some asked how they could join the staff.

3. Rebranding the newspaper

I’ve always had a design oriented mind. So it’s no surprise I wanted to redesign our student newspaper.

I wanted our paper to as modern and more reader friendly for those in the community.

I’m proud to say I’ve accomplished this goal, and have set forth a legacy that can last for years.

Anyways, I wanted to end on this note. I made it my mission to be more than the first black editor-in-chief of The Oakland Post, I made it my mission to be the best EIC possible. I hope I’ve exceeded your expectations.

It’s been fun working for The Post, but now it’s time to move on. Trevor, I know you’ll be great as editor-in-chief, and I can’t wait to see everything you do.

Love, peace, and hair grease fam. It’s been one hell of a ride!

Your first black editor-in-chief,

AuJenee Y. Hirsch