Student Org Profile: The Neurology Club

Oakland University’s Neurology Club celebrated Brain Awareness Month for the first time this week. Club President, Gina Chippi, hopes that it’ll become an annual celebration.

The message of Brain Awareness week is so important to everyone, not just science majors,” Chippi said. “Progress in biomedical research impacts everyone in some way, whether it be a friend or family member being able to receive a life-saving treatment due to new developments in brain research or a new device to help aid in the early diagnosis of a brain disease or disorder.”

The Neurology Club is open to all OU students who want to gain a better understanding of how the mind works. Meetings and events are held on a monthly basis.

“We’ve hosted similar events, such as “Protecting Your Noggin, where we encourage brain health and safety,” Chippi said. “During that event, we focused on safety while driving and how to stabilize the c-spine with c-collars.”

Dr. Gustavo Patino, assistant professor of neuroscience at Oakland, spoke at the club’s Brain Awareness Week event about neuroanatomy.

“I have a deep passion for neuroscience, so the Neurology Club was intriguing to me right off the bat,” said Brendan Veit, Neurology Club’s vice president. “What was so appealing to me at the meetings was how well of a job speakers did at giving presentations and how interactive they were with the members at the meeting.”

For Valentine’s day, the club hosted their “Love on the Brain” event, which focused on hormones and how they affect relationships.

In addition to speaking events, the Neurology Club also hosts movie nights. On Feb. 15, students gathered to watch “Brain on Fire.” The film, starring Chloë Grace Moretz and Jenny Slate, focuses on a journalist and her struggle with voices in her head and seizures.

“As the VP, I have had the chance to set up a handful of these meetings and meet some wonderful professionals as well as Neurology Club members,” Veit said. “It is an experience that has definitely shaped my time as a student here at OU and I would not trade it for the world.”

Neurology Club encourages all students to learn about the brain, and speakers often set aside time at the end of their talks for students and faculty to ask questions.

“The questions often lead to some really thought-provoking conversations,” Veit said. “It provides insights that you might not consider and information about career paths that students might not have thought about otherwise.”

Other events, like Mind Matters, are hosted prior to midterms and finals. These events teach students “hacks” to study and perform better on exams.

“We also have events that teach the importance of mindfulness, meditation and nutrition and how these things can impact the brain in a positive way,” Chippi said.

Students interested in joining the Neurology Club can find more information on GrizzOrgs or by emailing Gina Chippi at [email protected].