Women’s basketball loses on senior night, 73-64

Back to Article
Back to Article

Eliyah Russell

Eliyah Russell

Eliyah Russell

Devin Boatwright, Staff Reporter

In Saturday’s double header in the O’Rena, the Golden Grizzlies faced off against Wright State University for the final game of the regular season. When things were all said and done the Golden Grizzlies fell to the Raiders 73-64 in the final showing of this year’s senior class.

Senior guard Taylor Jones led the pack with 18 points, seven assists and five rebounds. With this game she moved up to the 8th spot on Oakland’s all-time scoring list with 1,575 career points. As this would be her last game on the Blacktop, Jones was still thankful for her experience here and is looking forward to playing basketball outside of Oakland.

“It’s an unreal feeling,” she said. “I feel like time just flew by me. However  I’m ready to win this championship in the Horizon league. Outside of that I have combines approaching in April and May, so the plan is to hopefully get signed somewhere overseas.”

The first quarter started slow for both teams on the court, going back and forth trading baskets ending the first 10 minutes with a seven point deficit for the Golden Grizzlies.

In the second quarter the Golden Grizzlies kept it close, yet found themselves down 35-23. Although small, the crowd was behind the team the whole way, cheering on the team and keeping the morale going for everyone in the O’Rena.

In the third quarter, Wright State continued to build upon their lead ending the quarter up 51-33.

The Golden Grizzlies would not back down without a fight however, and went on a run in the fourth quarter that brought the game to within eight points. As the teams were trading baskets, the crowd continued their cheering and would not let up until that final buzzer sounded. However, Wright State stayed resilient and finished the game with a win. During the last 20 seconds of the game, Jones fouled out and received a standing ovation from everyone in attendance. Following her substitutions were seniors, LaKyesha Stennis, Mercy Agwaniru and Nikita Telesford who also received standing ovations from the crowd.

Stennis, a guard and redshirt senior, is also looking forward to her life and playing the sport after college.

“It’s really sad that we’re moving onto the next chapter,” Stennis said. “However, I’m excited to see what the future holds for myself as well as the other seniors. I feel great about continuing to play, I have the opportunity to go to a few combines so I’m looking forward to that in the near future.”

As the seniors took their final stand on the Blacktop signing autographs and taking pictures, they have very uplifting words and advice for their fellow teammates who’ll follow in their footsteps.

“Never let anyone tell you that you can’t accomplish something,” Jones said. “The sky is the limit”.

The Golden Grizzlies had their rematch with Wright State on Tuesday, March 5 and lost once again, 83-60.

“Continue to and always push yourself,” Stennis said. “No matter how hard things get, no matter how many people try to bring you down, no matter how many obstacles get in your way, you just have to keep pushing.”