Swinging for the fences

Hartley has hit a team-high six home runs and scored a total of 21 runs so far this season.

The sacrifices junior Sarah Hartley has made for softball are finally starting to pay off.

Through 25 games this season, she’s already exceeded her previous two season totals in runs, hits, doubles, triples, home runs, RBIs and total bases.

Her on-base, slugging and batting percentages are also well above her career averages.

“She’s not satisfied with just being okay, she wants to be great,” head coach Connie Miner said.

“She seeks out coaching and that’s a good sign of someone who wants to keep improving. I think everyone is working hard, but she’s just got that next level.”

Miner has watched Hartley work hard to improve her strength and explosiveness since she first came to Oakland in 2012.

She won her first career Horizon League weekly honor this season when she was named player of the week for Feb. 23-March 2.

She has hit a team-high six home runs and scored a total of 21 runs so far this season.

Along with her talent and work ethic, Hartley’s leadership skills are also exceptional.

“She’s an outstanding teammate. If someone makes a mistake, she’s the first one I see saying, ‘Hey I got your back, we got this,’” Miner said.

“It’s never about Sarah, it’s always about her teammates. She’s always looking out for her team.”

Her success goes beyond the field, too.

Hartley is a pre-physical therapy student and currently volunteers in the acute joint physical therapy area of Crittenton Hospital.

She also represents the softball team in the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, which is an organization of student athletes that focuses on the core values of student athlete well-being, integrity, respect and stewardship.

For now, Hartley’s goals for the year are to win the conference and make a deep postseason run.

With a team that’s playing remarkably well and a coach that believes in their ability whole-heartedly, those goals are very attainable.  

OP: How much work did it take to get to this point in your career?

SH: A lot. In summer time growing up, people would be like ‘Hey, do you want to go up north?’ and I’m like ‘Oh sorry, I’m playing softball.’ You make a lot of commitments and give up a lot for it, but it’s paid off.

OP: What does it feel like when you hit a home run?

SH: It feels good. When you hit a home run, it’s like your easiest swing. It just happens. I think I’ve hit more home runs this year than I have my whole life.

OP: What has enabled you to hit so many home runs this season?

SH: Being more relaxed and not pressing so much to get a hit. I know the people behind me can pick me up and if I get a bad at-bat, the next girl behind me will hit the ball. I think that helps a lot. Not all the pressure is on me to hit the ball.

OP: What’s your favorite part of the game?

SH: I like defense. I think if I do well on defense, it helps me hit better.

OP: How do you balance school and softball?

SH: I have teammates with the same classes as me and we work together. Also, not procrastinating helps. The more I put on my plate, I feel like I actually do better in school because I have less time to procrastinate. I just get it all done instead of waiting until the day before.

OP: Why do you want to be a physical therapist?

SH: I think it’s the sports aspect of it. If I was hurt, I would want someone to help me get back as quick as possible. If someone got hurt and is out of their job, I want to help them get back to their normal life.

OP: How would you explain what you do as a member of SAAC?

SH: As an athlete, it’s hard to go out and get internships because we don’t have time. So you have to do other things to make yourself look better than others. We basically are in charge of athletics, academics, community service, informing our team and getting our team involved.