Perspective: Stop Stressing Over College Expenses

Factor in driving to campus, car repairs when you get stuck in a pothole driving to campus and things you just want to buy, then the expenses begin to add up. As students, we don’t always realize the cost of things we took for granted in high school. When we get out into the “real world” we’re forced to live with a grim reality that food and a place to live aren’t free. It can be challenging for students to learn how to restrain our spending habits. More often than not, we’re forced to think up creative ways to minimize spending. (Are you going to eat that?)

For most of us, financial woes are looming, and it can be hard to manage being a full-time student and a part-time employee. If you’re worried about managing your stress levels about finances, creating a budget is a great way to decrease stress. Budgets allow you to separate your needs from your wants, and allow you to have some financial responsibility.

Turn your stress into motivation. Don’t just accept defeat when you overspend. Only you know your spending habits and obligations. If possible, add some wiggle room into your budget. However, if you’re really stressed just remember that you can play cards against humanity online for free.