Police Files: January 16, 2019

Possession is 9/10ths of the reason you’re under arrest

A black Mercury Mariner was pulled over by an Oakland University Police Department (OUPD) patrol car at midnight on Friday, Oct. 5 due to a non-functional taillight. As the officer approached the vehicle on the passenger side, the driver rolled down her window and gave the officer her license. After she opened her glove compartment to acquire her proof of insurance, she slammed it shut quickly.

The officer saw a black item before she was able to fully close the compartment, but was unable to identify it. He became suspicious that the driver was attempting to hide something from him. It was at this time the officer noticed burnt leafy residue near the center console and on the floorboards, as well as the faint scent of marijuana.

When the officer asked again to show proof of insurance, the driver rolled up her window and began searching her center console. After getting the driver to roll down her window again, the officer asked if the center console was where her proof of insurance was. The driver said it was possible and quickly jumped into the front passenger seat.

The officer opened the driver side door and the driver proceeded to scoot closer to the glove compartment. The officer stopped her and stated he was unable to see her movements and for her to slowly open the glove compartment. She sat back in her seat and opened it to reveal a gun.

The officer reached over her and shut the glove compartment upon seeing the firearm and told her to step out of the car. The driver was handcuffed, and her car searched. The officer found a Smith and Wesson gun loaded with 14 rounds and a cup of burnt leaves later identified as marijuana. After some questioning, the driver admitted she had taken a concealed weapons proficiency class, but was never given paperwork to acquire her permit.

Later, the processing of evidence led to a warrant being filed for concealed weapons carrying and possession of marijuana on Tuesday, Oct. 16. The subject turned herself in on Tuesday, Oct. 30.