Students for Life defend Student Body President against recent criticism

“The idea of everyone on campus being represented by one person on campus is ridiculous,” Christina Lo Piccolo, the vice president of Students for Life, stated in response to the notion that Nick Walter should have views and values that reflect the entire student body. 

In response to the heat Student Body President Nick Walter faced at last week’s OUSC meeting, the pro-life group on campus spoke in his defense at the most recent meeting, held April 20.

Students for Life seized the opportunity to speak at the podium Monday afternoon to show support for Walter, who has been facing trouble over a column he wrote for The Oakland Post’s April 8 issue, “Let’s Talk About Abortion and the Indiana Bill.”

Their short but precise speech was a response to the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) protest that occurred at the meeting on Monday, April 13, and focused mostly on how Walter was simply exercising his freedom of speech.

Christina Lo Piccolo, vice president of Students for Life, began the speech but had to let Connor Adams, treasurer, read the end of it due to time constraints.

“Students are upset by the fact that their student body president has taken a stance on a controversial topic,” Piccolo said. “While these students have the right to respectfully disagree with [Walter], they have absolutely no right to silence his speech.”

Piccolo related Walter’s exercising his freedom of speech to Students for Life and GSA doing the same thing.  

“There was no hate in his speech. He merely pointed out that we had the right to express our point of view, just as the pro-choice group had the right to protest our beliefs,” Piccolo said.

Piccolo pointed out that it is in fact impossible for one person to have and reflect the views of every person on campus.

“It is [Walter’s] job to carry through with his campaign promises to the best of his ability and to respect the [voices] and opinions of the student body,” Piccolo said.

Adams read the last part of their speech to OUSC members and audience members. He spoke about how he has not always agreed with the views and opinions of every Student Congress member, and that he did not mind their opinions.

“Their views did not always represent my views. However, I had no issue with them leading our campus because I respected their right to have [opinions] and to have [voices]. I do not want a robot to lead our student body,” Adams said.

Adams concluded the speech with a reminder of their purpose for attending and speaking.

“I am not asking you to like or agree with what [Walter] believes; I am merely asking you to respect his beliefs,” Adams said.

Though their time to speak was short, the Students for Life members used this opportunity to support and defend Walter’s opinions and article with a precise and calculated speech.

“Nick Walter was elected into this position because of his strength of character and leadership skills,” Piccolo said.

OUSC members did not interrupt the speech and did not argue with its points, moving on to the next item in the agenda.