New student body president under heat for Post column

Minutes after being officially sworn into office, newly-elected Student Body President Nick Walter faced heat regarding his latest “Student Statesman” column in the Oakland Post at the Oakland University Student Congress (OUSC) general body meeting on Monday, April 13.

Following the customary turnover from the former administration, President Annie Meinberg and Vice President Liz Iwanski, where Walter and Vice President Madison Kubinski took office and swore in the new legislature, members of the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) filled the gallery, voicing questions and concerns about the column. The column, published last Wednesday, focused on Walter’s opinions on the Students for Life and Genocide Awareness Project demonstrations and the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA) in Indiana.

Those from GSA talked mainly about how Walter’s opinions show that he does not represent the whole Oakland University student body and how some students were considering transferring from OU to another school because of the student leadership. 

“You’re representing views that don’t represent me,” said Jasmine Semma, president of Voices for Choices and GSA member, as she stood at the podium in front of the legislature.

Several legislators pointed out the that president’s views do not represent the views of the entire student congress and will not interfere with their decision making processes.

“President Walter is a professional man, and I trust that he will keep his personal opinions out of his presidency. Please don’t feel as if you don’t have allies on this congress,” said Liz Iwanski, legislator and 2014-15 vice president.

Despite several reassurances that Walter can and will keep his opinions out of his job and duties, some still expressed worry.

“I don’t know if I can trust the student body president to keep his own bias out of it,” GSA member Marisol Ramirez said after the meeting. “I want to take this to higher channels.”

More encouragement from legislators still did not appear to alleviate protestors’ worries.

“I did not choose to be a part of this community and I have concerns with President Walter comparing the LGBT community to the KKK. The LGBT community is not an organization or a hate group,” GSA member Justin Schnurer said.

Walter pointed out that the meeting was meant as a celebratory occasion for legislators sworn into news positions, and that it should not be marred by such heated discussions. He explained to GSA members and general audience members that he would rather discuss such issues at a later time or in private.

Walter said that, in his article, he did not state his opinions on the RFRA law in Indiana. He said that it was a “mere legal analysis of the situation,” not his view on it.

“Nevertheless, I am deeply frustrated with myself for presenting ideas in such a way that students would think that my personal opinions would affect my judgement. It was never my intention to offend anyone, and for that, I am truly sorry,” said Walter.

Many legislators echoed that their influence will not be based on the personal opinions of one member, even if the member is the president. They work as a democracy with voting and polling, not by the swaying of viewpoints.

“We encourage students to continue to share their voices because they do matter,” said Kubinski.