Theta Chi members join ‘Up to Us’ national debt awareness campaign

This year marks the first year that Oakland University will be competing in the “Up to Us” campaign, a nonpartisan project centered around raising awareness about the nation’s growing debt.  The team is comprised of brothers from Theta Chi Fraternity and their friends who are equally passionate about fiscal policy, and creating a sustainable future.

The goal of the campaign is to educate people on the importance the national debt has on our economy. At $21.7 trillion and increasing every second, the debt is something that will not just go away. Today’s college students will be the ones to inherit the national debt and it is crucial they understand what the growing debt means for their future. By addressing the fiscal challenges that affect the United States, “Up to Us” hopes to create an economic future that works for future generations.

The “Up to Us” movement is in its seventh year of operation and has engaged 231,926 people, collected 93,874 pledges and supported 724 campus teams.  This year there are 125 different colleges and universities across the country in the competition. Oakland’s “Up to Us” team is making a conscious effort to stress the importance of fiscal issues to the OU student body by holding numerous events around campus during the month of November which they have declared as “National Debt Awareness Month.”  

“The growing U.S. debt is relevant to students like me because if it continues to grow unchecked as it is now, it will negatively affect the overall economy,” said Nathan Pigott, OU’s “Up to Us” team captain. “This is not ideal for college graduates who are looking to start their careers.”

Encouraging civic engagement is a key component of the Oakland team’s strategy.  During the days leading up to the midterm elections, the team spearheaded a comprehensive social media campaign, visited classrooms, held radio interviews and passed out flyers all with the goal of informing students about the importance of being politically active and getting to the polls.

“Our big idea is to target students who are not that well-versed in fiscal policy or economics,” said Joseph Javier, OU’s “Up to Us” executive director. “92 percent of student debt is owed to the federal government and therefore is a component of the national debt. Our campaign is relevant to all students in some way. And by holding engaging and innovative activities in and around campus, we want to get the conversation started on what each of us can do to ensure a promising economic future for all Americans. Understanding how the legislature works and knowing the driving forces that affect the debt are key issues we’ve been communicating.”

Oakland’s team is not done working yet.  One of the best ways to support the group is to sign their pledge at itsuptous.org/get-involved/pledge, while making sure to specify Oakland University when it asks for current college/university.  They are also holding an essay writing contest about the growing national debt problem where students can win a $100 prize. For more information on all these activities, follow their page on Instagram at UPtoUS_Oakland or check out their website at sites.google.com/oakland.edu/uptousoakland to keep up to date with all of the events they will hold around campus.