President’s Report: the Student Activities Fund Allocation Committee

Dear students,

Student organizations make up the heart of student life here on campus. They provide opportunities for students that go beyond the classroom and are often what define a student’s experience here at OU. There are eight student organizations on campus that stand out above the rest, and it all has to do with funding. Those organizations are a part of the Student Activities Fund Allocation Committee, more often known as SAFAC.

These eight organizations are different from other organizations because they have budgets directly funded by the university. SAFAC receives $28 from the tuition of every student on campus, called the student activities allocation (SAA), and allocates those funds in a manor approved by the Congress. This week I am going to talk about these organizations, and what they do for students.

Oakland University Student Congress, 15 percent

OUSC is the core of student democracy on campus. It is the body that normal students can influence the most through its elections, and thus has an instrumental role in SAFAC. The student body president chairs SAFAC. SAFAC, technically speaking, is a part of Student Congress.

Student Activities Funding Board, 27 percent

SAFB is a section of Student Congress. The chair of SAFB is hired by the student body president, and they have a staff which they hire. SAFB allocates its funds to registered student organizations, and votes on who gets what funding. If you’re a club’s e-board as the president or treasurer, you have the ability to request funds from SAFB.

Student Program Board, 27 percent

SPB puts on some of the largest events on campus. Casino Night, the Carnival and many other events are all put on by the Board. They are a staple of student life, putting on programs that thousands of students enjoy. SPB serves a vital role in campus life.

The Oakland Post, 7 percent

The Oakland Post provides independent news about campus. Their papers, which come out every Wednesday, cover everything from University Athletics to Board of Trustee meetings. They are a valuable information source for students.

88.3 FM WXOU, 10 percent

WXOU is the student radio station here on campus. They play the greatest hits from different time periods, and make it easy to get involved as a student. If you have an idea for a radio show, you could make it a reality with WXOU.

Student Life Lecture Board, 3 percent

SLLB brings speakers onto campus to discuss a range of topics. They have brought folks like Bill Nye, Henry Winkler and Dave Coulier. SLLB is made up of student leaders, and three general student positions that are now accepting applications.

Student Video Productions, 4 percent

SVP helps students who want to learn about the process of making videos and movies. They are housed in Varner Hall, and provide workshops for their dues paying members. They also work closely with OUTV.

Club Sports, 6 percent

Club Sports regulates and allocates funds to the many club sports teams on campus. Some of the teams on campus include Lacrosse, Ballroom and Latin Dance Club and Football. They are housed in the Recreation Center.

Special Projects Fund, 1 percent

The Special Projects Fund (SPF) is a fund controlled by SAFAC that can be spent on a number of projects. This past month, SAFAC approved spending the SPF on a new shed for the Student Organic Farm.

SAFAC Organizations are important, and it is easy to get involved in all of them. If you are interested in getting involved, you can find each one on GrizzOrgs. You can also stop by the Student Congress office, and we will point you in the right direction.