Governor Synder appoints two new members to Board of Trustees

Two new members of the Oakland University Board of Trustees (BOT) were appointed by Gov. Rick Snyder last week. Lt. Gov. Brian Calley and Dennis Muchmore will each serve an eight year term that expires August 11, 2026.

Calley, originally from Portland, Ore., has served as lieutenant governor to Snyder since 2010. He served as a Republican member for the House of Representatives from 2007 to 2011.

He has a bachelor’s degree in business administration from Michigan State University, a master’s degree from Grand Valley State University in business administration and a master’s degree in public administration from Harvard University.

Additionally, Calley is an advocate for people with autism and campaigned for autism therapy to be included in Michigan healthcare plans. His daughter has autism, and Calley is devoted to inclusion and accessibility on campus.

Muchmore worked as chief of staff for the Executive Office of Snyder and president of Michigan Chamber of Commerce.

Muchmore has a bachelor’s degree in theater arts and English from Eastern Illinois University and a master’s degree in public administration from Michigan State University.

He works as a leader of government relations and regulatory practice at Honigman, Miller, Schwartz and Cohn, PLC. He previously served on the BOT at Oakland from 2002 to 2004.

“Oakland University is a student-centered, global university, perfectly situated to provide students with opportunities for growth and leadership,” Muchmore said in a press release. “I salute the passion that goes along with being a Grizzly.”

Muchmore and Calley will be replacing former chair Mark Schlussel and Ronald Robinson. Schlussel and Robinson’s terms on the board both ended in August.

The BOT has eight members that are appointed by the governor. These members serve up to eight-year terms and are responsible for supervising the university and controlling the university’s funds.

The official university budget is approved by the BOT each year. They recently approved a $275 million fund budget to improve academic facilities and programs, student services and more.

University President Ora Hirsch-Pescovitz was chosen by the BOT.

“It’s extremely encouraging to see that the Board will continue to benefit from such strong leadership,” she said in the aforementioned press release. “Mr. Calley and Mr. Muchmore have an extensive background of exemplary service, and we look forward to working with them for years to come.”

The Board holds formal sessions a few times a year. Their next session will be held Dec. 10 at 2 p.m. in Banquet Room A of the Oakland Center.

Calley and Muchmore’s memberships mark four appointments to the BOT in 2018. Chairman David Tull was appointed in June to serve a two-year term, and Tonya Allen was appointed as vice chair.

“We’re pleased to welcome these two outstanding leaders,” Tull said in the previously mentioned press release. “Their knowledge and experience will be key in helping move the university forward.”

Post-meeting agendas and minutes can be found on their web page. Their office is located in 203 Wilson Hall.