It’s not too late to showcase your talents

The Student Program Board (SPB), which creates events that promote student involvement and enhance life on campus at OU, will be hosting their annual talent show, OU Has Talent, on Tuesday, Nov. 13. Auditions will be accepted until Friday, Nov. 2, and all OU students are encouraged to showcase their hidden talents.

Starr Brown, SPB’s mainstage director, and Giuseppe Giammalva, SPB’s annual events director, are in charge of this year’s event.

Where can students watch OU Has Talent?

Giammalva: “It’ll be in The Habitat on campus. Auditions are open to all OU students, and admission to the event is free.”

What type of acts are you looking for this year?

Brown: “We are open to all acts. This year we really want to showcase some out-of-the-box talents. From music to comedy and everything in between, we want to show off what OU students are most proud of.”

Giammalva: “We have some great prizes this year so we encourage everyone to take a chance and audition.”

How do students audition for OU Has Talent?

Brown: “A full audition form can be found on the SPB GrizzOrgs page. The auditions are online so students can describe their act on the form and then submit a video of their performance. We still have plenty of open slots and we won’t be making final decisions until Nov. 5.”

Giammalva: “The deadline to submit is 11:59 p.m. on Nov. 2. Students will receive an email by Nov. 5 if their act is selected to perform. Acts should keep their performance under five minutes in order for everyone to have time to perform.”

Why do you think OU Has Talent is such a valuable program for students at Oakland University?

Giammalva: “I think that this event brings Oakland University together as a community because we accept so many different talents. It gives students a chance to see their peers performing and in the end supporting each other for what they do. The event is free so we encourage students to stop by. It’ll be a great spot to hang out with friends while enjoying some great talent.”

The show will conclude with winners being chosen. First, second and third prizes will be awarded. First place will receive $300, second will receive $200 and third receives $100. All three placings will also get a trophy.

In addition, the “people’s choice” award will be given to the fan favorite of the night and they will receive $150 and a trophy.

Last year’s first prize winner was spoken word poet, David Bashaw. Other prize winning acts included beatboxing and singing.

Students with questions about auditioning or the OU Has Talent event in general can email Brown at [email protected].