Police Files: Oct. 17, 2018

Ben Hume, Web Editor

A new level of harassment

A student who had recently broken up with her boyfriend came into the Oakland University Police Department liaison office on Sept. 14, 2018 to report that he had physically and emotionally abused her.

When talking to the officer, the victim seemed visibly shaken as she reported that she had asked her former boyfriend several times not to contact her. Despite this, she reported that he had showed up at her residence and continued to make daily phone calls multiple times. Her call log on her phone showed approximately 200 calls between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. over the course of multiple days.

The liaison officer attempted to contact the ex-boyfriend by phone. The call went to voicemail on the first attempt, but on the second attempt, the suspect answered the phone and identified himself. When the officer identified herself, the suspect immediately hung up. The officer attempted to call the number again and went immediately to voicemail. She told the suspect that he had charges for stalking and harassment being filed against him. She never received a response.

On Sept. 25, the victim met with the liaison again and stated she had decided not to prosecute, as she received no further calls.

Parking lot nighttime wellness check

An officer on patrol on the night of Oct. 1, 2018 observed a gray Jeep Commander with an attached homemade blue trailer in the overnight parking area. The officer had observed this trailer parked in the Walmart parking lot and P37 before.

The officer knocked on the exterior of the trailer and observed the trailer start to rock and move. He announced himself, to which the person inside responded by identifying herself as an OU junior. She was living in the trailer while she was attending school because she could not afford housing, and already used tuition assistance for her classes. She told the officer she was going to begin working and ask her employers if she could use their lot instead of OU’s to sleep in.

The officer advised her that she was in violation of OU’s ordinance, but when she said she could leave and find another location, he advised her that OU’s lot was much safer and that she could stay until she found a safer place. He also told her that she would probably have to speak with the Dean of Students about her situation.