President’s Report: On-campus safety

Dear Students,

OU may at often times feel like an island, isolated from the rest of Metro-Detroit by Walton Blvd. and Squirrel Rd. Despite this feeling of isolation, our university does not exist in a vacuum. Because of this we need to adapt and make sure that our campus is the safest that it can possibly be. In this report I’m going to discuss a topic that makes many uncomfortable, and that is mass shooting incidents.

Regardless of where you fall on the gun control debate, it is obvious that shootings on university campuses are becoming an increasing problem in the United States. Many of us heard the news of what had transpired at Central Michigan University on Friday, March 2, 2018. A shooting took place, and I can personally testify about the fear that ran through my heart when I heard this news. I have multiple family and friends at CMU, and my first concern was for their safety and well-being.

The shooting that took place at CMU was a tragedy and prompted myself and others to think about Oakland’s safety. Hence I would like to discuss door locks on campus. As many of you may be aware, most classrooms on OU’s campus have to be locked from the outside of the classroom. That is true for classrooms from South Foundation Hall to Varner. During an active shooter situation, this is a nightmare. A faculty member would have to step into the hallway, where a shooter might be located, to lock the door so that the shooter could not easily enter the classroom.

Student Congress and the Oakland University Chapter of the American Association of University Professors (OUAAUP) have taken a particular interest in updating classroom locks, so that they can be locked from the inside. OUAAUP has partnered with the OU Police Department to fundraise to replace these locks. Utilizing the All University Fund Drive, it is now possible to donate to a fund titled “OUPD Police Department Gift Fund (33395).” The OUAAUP has already promised to donate $5,000. If you or someone you know is able to donate, please do so.

If you are unable to donate but would like to help out even more, then please reach out to leaders on this campus. Tell them that you would like to feel safer on campus. Make it clear to them that this is a priority to you.

In a perfect world this wouldn’t be an issue we would have to discuss, and honestly it makes my heart heavy that this has to be one of the focuses of my administration. However, the safety of students, and of the entire OU family, is my top priority.

Best wishes,

Ryan M. Fox