Police Files: October 3, 2018

Ben Hume, Staff Reporter

Parking lot panic

Oakland University Police Department (OUPD) responded to a call from a woman having an argument with her boyfriend on the evening of Sept. 11, 2018. An officer arrived at the parking lot across from the soccer fields to find two other officers already on the scene, separating the couple. The male suspect was on the ground with his legs crossed. He said he and the woman were having a dispute over his involvement with another woman. At some point during the argument, he said he took the victim’s phone but claimed to return it shortly afterwards.

The officer then questioned the victim about the events leading to the argument in the parking lot. She stated the argument started in her apartment where she asked her partner to leave. He refused and attempted to keep talking to her. She then left her apartment with her phone, which is when her boyfriend stole it. After telling him she would call the police if he did it again, he stole the phone a second time. A passerby offered to call OUPD at this point, after which the boyfriend returned the phone. The boyfriend was arrested and transported to OUPD without incident.

Unnecessary sexual misconduct

An officer was dispatched to the Rec Center front desk to meet about a suspicious circumstance that had occurred earlier on the day of Aug. 23, 2018. The victim stated that an unknown male entered his shower and reached for his groin area while he was showering. He stated that no contact was made. The victim filed a report with the OU RecWell front desk.

After following up with the victim at OUPD, the victim was able to identify the suspect on security footage. The suspect that matched the victim’s report turned himself in on Aug. 24, stating, “I don’t know what I was thinking… I’m not even gay, I’m straight and married.” This is the suspect’s fourth police report he is named in since 2015 regarding aggressive sexual relations. The suspect contacted OU counseling services for assistance, and was later arrested and released on a $5,000 bond.