Jogger dies: Police investigate on-campus accident following pedestrian death

Police questioning the driver of the vehicle

UPDATE: School officials have announced the identity of the jogger.

Perry Badia, 54, of Rochester Hills was hit around 4:52 p.m. Thursday while jogging. He was taken to McLaren Oakland Hospital and later transferred to Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak. He was pronounced dead at 9:19 p.m.

The 25-year-old Oakland University student who was driving the car has been cooperating with police as they investigate. His name has not yet been released.

The Macomb Daily reports that Badia may be the university’s first pedestrian death.

—-

The Oakland University Police Department is currently investigating a traffic accident that involved a pedestrian.

At approximately 5 p.m. a westbound vehicle on Pioneer Drive struck a jogger ru­nning eastbound in the westbound lane, according to Brian Bierley, director of media relations.

A campus-wide alert was sent out just before 5:30 p.m., saying:

“The Oakland University Police Department has closed Pioneer Drive between the Library Drive traffic circle and the Facilities Management building to facilitate an investigation into a serious traffic accident.

The road closure is effective immediately and will remain in effect until at least 8 p.m. this evening.

Traffic headed east on Pioneer from Squirrel Road will be rerouted via the traffic circle and all drivers accustomed to heading south on Pioneer from the north side of campus should reroute using Pioneer north toward Walton.”

Police have spoken with the driver of the vehicle involved.

The pedestrian was a male jogger, according to Bierley. He was not carrying identification and has been transferred to a local hospital.

The Oakland Post will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.