Investigation on fatal campus accident still underway

Police questioning the driver of the vehicle

The Oakland University Police Department is still investigating a fatal traffic accident that involved a pedestrian and one car.

At approximately 5 p.m. on Thursday, May 14, a westbound vehicle on Pioneer Drive struck a jogger running eastbound in the westbound lane, according to Brian Bierley, director of media relations.

A campus-wide alert was sent out just before 5:30 p.m., informing the community that OUPD had closed Pioneer Drive between the Library Drive traffic circle and the Facilities Management building in order to facilitate the investigation.

The road was closed until around 8 p.m. as police questioned the 25-year-old Oakland University student who was driving the car involved in the accident.

Police were at first unable to identify the jogger, as he had not carried any identification on him, but later identified him as Perry Badia, 54, of Rochester Hills.

Badia was taken to McLaren Oakland Hospital and later transferred to Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak. He was pronounced dead at 9:19 p.m. due to complications related to blunt force trauma.

The student who was driving the car has been cooperating with police as they investigate. His name has not yet been released.

Officials said Badia’s death has been ruled accidental, The Oakland Press reports. The investigation is ongoing and it is not known whether charges will be pressed against the student driver.

Officials said drugs and alcohol were not likely factors, but sun blindness could have been.

As of press time, no more updates have been announced.

“All reports associated with the incident have been submitted to the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office for review,” wrote OUPD Chief Mark Gordon via email. “We are waiting for their decision regarding the next steps.”

Look to the Post for updates on this story.