President Hynd reflects on first year, plans for alumni outreach

The Board of Trustees’ audit committee gathered on Aug. 26 to discuss a conflict of interest policy for the university. 

Nostalgia was passed through the auditorium as Oakland University President George Hynd reflected on his first year in office during Monday’s Board of Trustees meeting.

Hynd, who was appointed president just over a year ago, reviewed his past and future strategic plans to a packed crowd on August 3.

Shortly after taking office, Hynd started a 90 day strategic plan where he looked to achieve a strong media outreach, legislative visits and alumni engagement.

During his first year, OU established six new leadership positions throughout the schools and colleges.

The university achieved accomplishments that Hynd mentioned during the meeting, including the graduation of OU’s 100,000th alum.

“This year has been a turning point for the university,” he said. “It’s been a very busy last year.”

Hynd didn’t focus on just the past, though. As his first year as president comes to a close, his second-year strategic plans are externally focused.

The president plans to connect with more alumni and donors throughout the community, while filling in the remaining open leadership positions across campus.

Hynd also looks to continue reporting with the faculty and staff twice a semester, and presenting President’s Reports at each formal session of the Board of Trustees meetings.

Aside from Hynd’s presidential update, Robert Folberg, dean of Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine, discussed the school’s growing popularity.

On Monday, August 3, the school received 6,100 applications for the class of 2019, while only 125 students will be selected.

Folberg said the secret doesn’t come from just the technical skills that are taught, but also how the students are taught to care for their patients.

“We have the reputation as a school that cares,” he said. “For both our students and our patients.”

Along with the reports presented by Hynd and Folberg, the board reappointed chairman Mark Schlussel and vice chairman Richard DeVore for another year.

The next formal Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for October 22 in the Elliott Hall auditorium.