Oakland Center to close for part of next week

Campus Communication announced on Wednesday, Feb. 14, that the Oakland Center will be closed Feb. 18-21 so the building’s heating system can be repaired.

As this repair will require the OC’s heat to be turned off, the building will be closed to the public. Though this is taking place during a class recess for students, the OC will be inaccessible to the staff and faculty who work there.

This repair is not part of the building’s current renovation, but the issue was found as a result of construction.

“We appreciate everybody’s understanding in this,” said OC Director Chris Reed. “We thought this was the best time to do this. If we don’t do it now, there’s a chance it could become an emergency situation where we have to shut [the OC] down when school is in session.”

Reed said the repair is needed due to the building’s age and should not affect the ongoing renovation.

The building is planned to open back up on Thursday, Feb. 22. Reed said that though he and his team plan to stay on schedule, they will update the campus community should the OC need to be closed longer. In the meantime, students, staff and faculty were encouraged to use Kresge Library as a place to spend down time or grab a bite to eat.