A better yOU: Go to sleep!

It is 2:30 a.m. and you’re trying to cram the last bit of information in for your 8 a.m. exam tomorrow. Don’t do that. It’s bad for you. For most of us college students, sleep is not a priority. Some of us procrastinate a little too much, take on too many activities, work too late with 8 a.m. class the next day, or would rather hang out with friends than get a good night’s sleep. Some of us think of sleep as a burden on our daily lives. Think of ALL that extra time we would have if we didn’t have to sleep! According to Russell Foster, a circadian neuroscientist, we sleep about 37 percent of our lives, which means sleep is obviously important. So, why is sleep NOT a waste of our time?

Well, no one is entirely sure why we need sleep. However, there are many theories behind it. Restoration Theory states that sleep is essential to rebuilding and revitalizing our neurological processes that help us function properly. When we are asleep, our brains are still “awake” restoring what has been lost during our consciousness. 

Another theory involves energy conservation. The idea behind this theory is that when we sleep, our metabolisms slow and, ultimately, conserve energy. However, the amount of energy conserved is only about 110 calories, which is about equivalent to a slice of bread. Some scientists believe that this small amount of energy saved is important to reducing an individual’s demand for energy.

If those theories haven’t convinced you enough, hopefully the Consolidation Theory will.  This theory focuses on improving memory, problem solving, and creativity through synaptic consolidation and system consolidation.  Without getting too complicated, this basically means that the brain will convert short-term memory to long-term memory due to increased synaptic strength, which allows more signal transmissions between neurons.  

Now, let’s take a look at what happens when you don’t get enough sleep.  According to the National Sleep Foundation, a surprising 37 percent of drivers admit to falling asleep at the wheel, and four percent of drivers report they have been in an accident or near accident secondary to drowsy driving. It has also been reported that disasters such as Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, The Challenger explosion, and the Exxon Valdez oil spill have resulted from sleep-deprived workers. 

Lack of sleep can cause decreased cognition, poor memory, poor judgment, and poor decision-making.  Our bodies also start to crave stimulants to make up for the loss of energy. This can lead to drug and alcohol abuse, smoking, caffeine dependence, weight gain from overeating, etc. Stress and anxiety from sleep deprivation can cause loss of memory, irritability, suppressed immunity, increased blood pressure, and also releases more glucose into the bloodstream, which can lead to diabetes.

How can you get a better night’s sleep? The number one way is to manage your time and daily activities. If you start that group project earlier, you won’t have to stay up all night the day before to finish it. If you drink too much regular coffee at 10 p.m., knock it off! Increase your melatonin production at night by reducing light exposure, turning off electronics, reducing noise, and getting cozy in your bed. Creating a regular bedtime will also reinforce your body’s sleep-wake cycle. Take naps during the day if you weren’t able to fit in a whole eight hours the night before, but make sure you are napping smart! Naps should generally be about 90 minutes, which will complete one full REM cycle and won’t disrupt your ability to fall sleep the following night.

If you have a sleeping disorder, I urge you to seek help! The Graham Health Center is on campus, and is available to students for counseling and other resources. Otherwise, it may behoove you to make changes in your life to get those recommended eight hours (or more) per night!

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. This article is for informational purposes only. No guarantee made as to the accuracy of this information. If you are in need of medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, contact Oakland University Graham Health Center at 248-370-2341.

Upcoming Environmental, Health, and Wellness Events:

• Student Congress Wellness Carnival, September 24th, 4-7pm, lawn between the north Oakland Center entrance and Bear Lake
  • Leaders for Environmental Awareness and Protection General Meeting, October 2nd, 12-1pm, Lake Superior A room in the Oakland Center
  • Leaders for Environmental Awareness and Protection Weekly Clean with the Clinton River Watershed Council, October 7th, 10am-12pm, Riverbends Park
  • Aspiring Surgeons General Meeting, October 7th, 2-3pm, Gold Room B in the Oakland Center
  • Student Congress Talkin’ Trash Campus Clean-up, October 8th, 11am-1pm, meet in Fireside Lounge in the Oakland Center