Transfer student orientation

There will be a transfer student orientation on Dec 12. that is designed to help new transfer students get acclimated to their settings here at Oakland University.

The orientation is divided into two separate parts: online and in-person. The online portion is said to take 30 minutes of a new student’s time.

Some of the topics covered in the online portion of the orientation include how students will register for classes, how much tuition will be and how to pay it, how financial aid works and what resources and services are available for students.

Yoel Joa is the assistant director for orientation and new student programs.

“My job is to plan and implement our three major orientation programs here at Oakland, which are New Student Orientation, Parent and Family Orientation, and Transfer Student Orientation,” Joa said.

“Last but not least I work with a number of individuals across campus in different functional areas and work with all incoming students to the university,” Joa added.

Joa is well-versed in what students should expect when coming to one of his orientations. Joa also knows what all students should do before attending orientations.

“One important problem I’ve run into is making sure students turn in all of their credits for other institutions that they had previously attended before deciding to give Oakland a try, because it is important for advisers to get a complete picture in advance so they can appropriately advise incoming students,” Joa said.

Another important tip that Joa has for students who transfer to OU is that they should get involved around campus.

“It’s important to get involved because students will have a greater sense of connection to the Oakland community and it is a great way to meet other students with similar interests, find a passion and run with it,” Joa said.

At the orientation, Joa covers a number of informative topics (some of them jovial while others strictly informative). According to Joa, students should expect to receive information on their due dates and deadlines when the semester starts and when payments are due.

Students will meet with their academic advisor at the orientation, in order to get them ready for their upcoming semester. Additionally, students will hear a presentation from Student Financial Services and participate in a campus tour, if they wish.

Also, students will register for their classes at the orientation and receive a welcome from the office that Joa works at.

Offices that will be working the event include Orientation and New Student Programs, representatives from student financial services, undergrad admissions, and the Oakland Center staff.

According to Joa, his office does publish an orientation Golden Grizzly guide that is a printed publication guide, which gives students information on student accounts, academic advising, registration and financial aid.

Joa noted that this program is shorter than a traditional freshman orientation.

“We wanted this program to be shorter so we could receive feedback, we feel it is important to receive what transfer students [who have been through this before] felt the vision for this program should be,” Joa said.