The “Zombie Apocalypse” takes over the OU campus

Coinciding with this week’s release of Paramount’s Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse, the Oakland University campus saw plenty zombie related activities around its campus.  

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse follows three scouts and lifelong friends who join forces with a cocktail waitress when their peaceful town is ravaged by a zombie invasion. The world’s most unlikely heroes will use their scouting skills to save mankind from the undead and earn the badge of a lifetime. The film stars Tye Sheridan, David Koechner, Sarah Dumont and Patrick Schwarzenegger.

There were many events around campus to help promote the movie. The events featured different zombie-like activities along with free promotional items— such as posters, hats, T-shirts and scout badges.

One of the bigger events on campus was the Superior Scouts at OU event. The OU Student Video Productions and Filmmakers’ Guild of OU  put on the event where students participated in different tasks— such as lighting a bonfire, building a tent and completing a scout themed scavenger hunt around campus— to earn badges and other promotional items. 

Another fun event put on by the film was the Trick or Treat in the Dorms. Students living in the dorms on campus were surprised with a cool trick or treat gift. Left outside their doors, residents found a combination of promotional items from the film in honor of Halloween.

Many students and student organizations took part in the zombie makeover where they got their face painted to look like a zombie. WXOU, for example, had promotions director Jonathon Kassab act like a zombie and tweeted out this link.  

Along with students acting like zombies around campus, there were plenty of sightings of zombie cat. The stuffed animal from the movie could be seen at some of Oakland’s most iconic spots like the Eliott Tower, the Saints and Sinners fountain and in front of the Meadowbrook Theater.

Promotional items and fun events happened all over campus the last couple of weeks leading up to the opening of Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse. The film opens this weekend and is rated R for zombie violence, sexual material, graphic nudity, and language throughout.