Men’s basketball showcases new talent against Adrian College

Freshman center Brad Brechting shoots while the team’s starters cheer. Oakland won its first exhibition game against Adrian, 113-58.

After sitting out for more than 10 months, Oakland University’s newest guard Sherron Dorsey-Walker was more than ready to retake the hardwood on Halloween morning. He played 29 minutes in Oakland’s 113-58 blowout victory over Adrian College in the 2015-16 preseason opener.

He’ll immediately enter the conversation for Horizon League newcomer of the year after transferring in January to Oakland from Iowa State.

“It felt great, it’s a blessing coming back home, Coach (Greg) Kampe gave me a great opportunity,” Dorsey-Walker said at the post-game press conference.

The game marked his reunion with high school teammate Kahlil Felder, who played with Dorsey-Walker at Detroit Pershing. Martez Walker, another Golden Grizzlies transfer from Texas, also played for Pershing and will become eligible after the fall semester.

Dorsey-Walker, a 6-foot-4 combo guard-forward, recorded 11 points, nine rebounds and four assists in the showdown against the Division III Bulldogs. He was far from being Oakland’s best player on the day, however.

Point guard Kahlil Felder, the Horizon League’s preseason player of the year, scored 23 points on 6-of-14 shooting. He added seven assists and four steals in the effort.

“It’s been great to play with Kahlil,” Dorsey-Walker said. “When we played together at Pershing it was the same thing except he got way better. It’s great being out there with him again.”

Oakland’s new center, Percy Gibson, also made his debut against Adrian. He replaces the departed senior captain Corey Petros.

Gibson also transferred from Iowa State where he played for three years. He recorded 15 points and six rebounds against Adrian. He made all four of his free throws, a stark difference from Petros, who shot just 46 percent from the charity stripe in his senior season.

Oakland sank 39 of 45 free throws against Adrian as a team.

“Petros didn’t shoot any free throws today, so that helped us,” Oakland head coach Greg Kampe said. “Gibson obviously can make shots, we expect to be a good free-throw shooting team.”

Two other Golden Grizzly guards recorded double-digit scoring: sophomore Nick Daniels collected 19 and senior Max Hooper also totaled 19. The two combined to shoot 8 for 15 from the three-point line. 

Leading the way for the Bulldogs was Devontae Harris, who scored 18 points and added six rebounds. Rickey Jackson Jr. recorded 14 points and also grabbed six rebounds.

Oakland shot 53 percent from the field as a team and 46 percent from beyond the arc.

“We’ll ignore almost all of the stats because they’re where they should be. We should shoot over 50 percent against them and they shouldn’t shoot 50 against us, I think they were in the low 30s which we were pleased with,” Kampe told reporters.

Kampe’s Golden Grizzlies bullied Adrian with a full-court press for much of the game, resulting in 19 turnovers for the Bulldogs. Kampe says he plans to play the press all season.

“I thought the intensity and how we covered was really good. I was really proud of how our guys performed today,” Kampe said.

Oakland will play one more exhibition game Nov. 11 against Heidelberg University, a Division III school from Tiffin, Ohio, before opening the non-conference season against Eastern Michigan University on Nov. 18 in the O’rena.