The Real Deal: How sex ed could be so much more useful

Not surprisingly, a lot of student organizations on campus have been talking about sex. It is a topic that comes up commonly in our social circles, in our humor, and in our discussions. In college young people learn a lot about sex. It is often true that students are sheltered by their parents and are shell shocked by the sudden wave of information that hits them once they leave home for the first time. This is in part due to the strict focus on abstinence-only education in public schools. Public school districts will not dare discuss with students anything about sex that goes beyond simply not having it. Most of us here at OU can agree that abstinence-only education doesn’t work, and in this article I will overview some of the things we should be teaching our kids in sex ed.

One of the most crucial aspects of sex education that we should be teaching students is the meaning of consent. We need to give kids a clear definition of what sexual consent means, and we need to explain how serious it is when you pressure someone into doing something that they are not comfortable with. If we teach kids how to have safe and responsible sex where they make sure that everyone involved is explicitly consenting and enjoying it, we can see some major problems in our society begin to be resolved. We would see a decrease in sexual assault, sexual harassment, and all-around discomfort.

It would be greatly beneficial to give students a course that can explain sexual orientations. By sitting down with students and discussing what exactly the difference between gender, sexuality, and sex is we can help further understanding and hopefully move towards greater equality for the LGBTQ+ community. Students could also understand their own sexuality better, and would hopefully discover their own sexual orientation early on.

Better sex ed classes could also teach students what resources are available to them. They can learn where to get birth control, condoms, and other forms of contraception. This would lead to a decrease in teen pregnancy. This also has benefits for those who are pro-life since it is statistically proven that the more contraceptives there are in a society, the less abortions. Explaining resources to students also encourages them to practice healthy habits, such as getting tested for STDs. This would help combat the spread of STDs among young people.

Considering all of these benefits, one has to ask: “Why aren’t we teaching kids with better sex ed courses?” Well, the answer is as simple as you might think. America still grasps on to a long-held belief that simply talking about something (i.e. sex) will make it happen. This has been proven untrue in countless empirical studies, and yet still persists in public opinion. This line of thinking has proven not to only hinder progress, but it also harms those who have to suffer through the systems they perpetuate. Many young people today have been sheltered from any talk of sex other than how it works, and this is causing a great deal of problems. Many young people have uncomfortable and negative first-time sexual experiences because they know so little about what sex is supposed to be like. Many young people contract STDs and become pregnant all because no one ever explained to them how to have safe sex. Abstinence-only education not only doesn’t work, but it is irresponsible and doesn’t prepare future generations for the knowledge they need to be sexually active adults.