New tradition starts in form of spOUktacular

Oakland University is always coming up with something new to improve campus or to get more involvement from students and the community.

Halloween is just around the corner, and students always wonder what events are being planned for them. 

A new Halloween tradition known as OU’s Spooktacular Halloween series made its debut on Friday, Oct. 23.

There were Halloween-related activities and a carillon recital at the Elliott Tower on Friday, Oct. 23. The same event will take place again this on Friday, Oct. 30 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.

A great way to unwind will be sticking around until the very end of the event for the live carillon concert by OU’s carillonneur Dennis Curry.

A carillon is an instrument made of giant bells that is controlled by a keyboard, and OU’s own carillon is in Elliott Tower. The concert will go from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. 

Curry has been a professional carillonneur for 25 years, and is also the carillonneur and associated music director at Kirk in the Hills, a church in Bloomfield Hills.

Every Friday at noon, Curry plays a live concert as part of the Fridays at Noon Carillon Series. The program relates to something happening on campus or around the world.  

“Last week, I played selections from the musical titled ‘Oklahoma!’ which was a performance put on by the Music, Theater and Dance department here,” Curry said.

Curry will be performing some contemporary, scary music like the “Addams Family” theme song at OU’s Spooktacular Halloween series on both Fridays. 

“I think this is going to be a great and fun event, and I’m glad to see OU is getting the community involved,” Curry said. 

Jean Ann Miller, director for the Center for Student Activities and Leadership Development, is beyond excited to enjoy the fall festivities and music.    

“Students, faculty and the community are welcome to come to this event to enjoy the Halloween activities,” Miller said. “Everyone doesn’t have to dress up, so they can feel free to come as they are or can get in the Halloween spirit and dress up.” 

Halloween-related activities include trick or treating around the tower, face painting, arts and crafts and giveaways. It wouldn’t be fall and Halloween without free apple cider, donuts and caramel apples.

If anyone wants to show their OU pride, there is a Grizz stencil available online to decorate a jack-o-lantern with. Also, feel free to share any Halloween and Spooktacular photos using #ThisisOU, as well as tagging Oakland’s social media handles.